Sym Link problem

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Sym Link problem
# 1  
Old 09-24-2008
Sym Link problem

Hi,
I am using Mac X 10.5. It's supporting BSD. I am getting strange problem.

• Launch the terminal.
• Create a directory. Use cd <directory>
• Now create another directory test with command “mkdir test”.
• Create a soft link with command “ln -s text.txt test”
• Go to the test directory “cd test”.
• Run the command ls -la. Output would be as

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 8 Sep 24 12:59 text.txt -> text.txt

Here, a file is pointing it self.
Anybody know, why it's happening.
# 2  
Old 09-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh78
Anybody know, why it's happening.
It is this command: ln -s text.txt test

It creates a link (by default named text.txt because you didn't specify) in the test directory, pointing to text.txt.

If you tell us what you are trying to accomplish, someone might be able to help you out with the proper commands to use.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find cmd and sym links

Hi. Can somebody tell me if there's a way of creating a symbolic link from a directory on one filesystem to that on another that will allow a find command that doesn't use the -L param to locate a particular file under that new 'linked' dir. With a normal sym link the find command on that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Create sym-link into /dev (zone)

Hi i need to install a software into a zone, and this kind of software needs to have a file who is linked into /dev. But it is not possible to create a link into /dev nor create a file into it. -bash-3.00# ln -s /tmp/testfile /dev/ ln: cannot create /dev//testfile: Permission denied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
2 Replies

3. AIX

How to create a sym link pointing a changing name.

Hello A new file is created every day with the date appended to the end of a name. We are using Autosys to run jobs which watches for the file and runs jobs. But Autosys does not have the capability to figure out the current date. I tried creating a symlink like this ln -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vra5107
1 Replies

4. Linux

Link command problem

Hello, I have one issue with linking folders. I have two domains (domain1 and domain2) on one server (centOS). In domain1, I have one folder containing many images which I want to share for domain2. So i have created link for image directory using below command. ln -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitshah.in
1 Replies

5. BSD

sym link problem

Hi, I am using Mac X 10.5. It's supporting BSD. I am getting strange problem. • Launch the terminal. • Create a directory. Use cd <directory> • Now create another directory test with command “mkdir test”. • Create a soft link with command “ln -s text.txt test” • Go to the test directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Saurabh78
1 Replies

6. Linux

link error problem

Dear linuxers, I'm a novice in C++ programming. I wrote a ReadFile class in file ReadFile.cpp. After that, I wrote a test.cpp, which contains a main function, to test whether my class work well. I follow the following steps to compile the ReadFile.cpp file. g++296 -c ReadFile.cpp -o... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niukun
4 Replies

7. Programming

gcc Link problem

I have some crypting functions in object-file - for example,func.o Main file,from where crypting functions called, named as main.cpp . "gcc main.cpp -o main func.o" print "undefined reference to ... " But if I rename main.cpp to main.c and execute "gcc main.c -o main func.o" - ok. If anybody,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gigachel
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and sym links

Would I be correct in assuming that find doesn't bother recursivley searching down sim links. (It doesn't seem to so I guess it doesn't!!!) Is there anyway to make it do so? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question