Debian, string in string.

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Debian, string in string.
# 1  
Old 12-12-2018
Debian, string in string.

Example, check if user is in a group.

echo groups
Berty adm, dialout, cdrom, foo, foo

how to check that 'dialout' is in that output

I thought of awk '{print $x}' but x won't aways be the same.

Thanks.
# 2  
Old 12-12-2018
I am assuming
Quote:
$groups
has values
Code:
Berty adm, dialout, cdrom, foo, foo

a simple grep should get you

Code:
echo $groups |  grep dialout

with awk
Code:
echo $groups | awk '/dialout/{ print $0 }'

# 3  
Old 12-12-2018
With shell builtins:
Code:
case $groups in (*dialout*) echo "true";; esac

This is not precise though. Like the "grep" in the previous post. (The latter can be improved with "grep -w".)
# 4  
Old 12-13-2018
Using an interim variable:
Code:
ngroups=${groups#* }                                         # remove the prefix
[[ ,${ngroups// /}, == *,dialout,* ]] && echo yes || echo no # remove all other spaces; add , to beginning & end

You can use if instead of the && ... || construct I used above. Or you can put it in MadeInGermany's case statement:
Code:
case ,${ngroups// /}, in (*,dialout,*) echo "true";; esac

Andrew
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert String every n lines, resetting line counter at desired string

I need to read a text file and insert a string every n lines, but also have the line counter restart when I come across a header string. Line repeating working every 3 lines using code: sed '0~3 s/$/\nINSERT/g' < INPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt > OUTPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt I cannot seem to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skonectthedots
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string in a file and retrieve 10 lines including string line

Hi Guys, I am trying to write a perl script to search a string "Name" in the file "FILE" and also want to create a new file and push the searched string Name line along with 10 lines following the same. can anyone of you please let me know how to go about it ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question