Scsi Tape Message?????

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Scsi Tape Message?????
# 1  
Old 04-02-2002
Question Scsi Tape Message?????

I do daily backups running a shell script. I use 6 different tapes for each day (monday through saturday).

First of all I insert the tape then run the script and when it finished I eject the tape.

Until today I was doing this with no problem, but now I'm getting this message constantly (even when there's not tape on the drive and I'm not running the script):

CPU2: NOTICE: Stp: SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 not ready

Why I'm getting thais message, what do it means??????
# 2  
Old 04-03-2002
Las razones pueden ser las siguientes:

1. La cabeza de lectura del tape está sucio y debes limpiarla con un tape que existe para ello.

2. El cable que va del Server al tape puede estar flojo. Verifica.

3. El servidor no esta reconociendo ese dispositivo y en dado case debes reiniciar el servidor.

4. En ultima instancia debes re-instalar el dispositivo.
# 3  
Old 04-04-2002
Can anyone translate that
Smilie
# 4  
Old 04-04-2002
According to forum rules, all posts should be made in English.
But according to Systranbox, it says (very roughly!) this:
Quote:
The reasons can be the following ones:

1. The head of reading of the tape is dirty and you must clean it with a tape that exists for it.

2. The cable that goes of the Server to the tape can be loose. It verifies.

3. The server this recognizing that device and in dice does not marry you must reinitiate the server.

4. In he completes instance you must re-install the device.
Basically, make sure the drive is clean, check the cables, reboot the server(?), or reinstall the device and associated files.
I don't know how accurate this is, but that's what I got from the translation.
# 5  
Old 04-04-2002
The Translation is good. Thank you all for your help.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Hardware

Help with scsi tape drive problem

I've had a scsi hard drive, scsi tape drive, and cd rom working off an adaptec 29160 controller. Everything worked great until a few days ago. I begin getting tar format errors (running sco 5.0.6) on the tape drive and occasionally the entire system would hang up while trying to access data on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: powwm
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with SCSI card and tape drive

Currenty running SCO Openserver 6 at a Dell PowerEdge T300. I recently installed a driver for an Adaptec SCSI card (adpu320). When I connect a tape drive to it and re-start the system,it freezes and displays the following message: "WARNING: adpu320: Command timed out (ha= 4)" and the system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoM
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Restoring dump from tape to SCSI disk

Hi Gurus, I need help. Mine is an Ultra 10 machine running on solaris 7. Problem with solaris 7 is, it can no longer recognize IDE disks greater that 10GB. My workaround is ro use an external SCSI disk since it is recognizable with solaris 7. I backup my filesystems (residing on the IDE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: domesat
2 Replies

4. SCO

SCSI tape on Openserver 5.0.6

Running into an interesting problem here: I can add the tape with "mkdev tape" the system appears to see it wwith "hwconfig -hc" however a 'tape status /dev/rStp0' says 'no device found', checked the configuration files in 'etc' all appear to be correct. Any suggestion appreciated Jim (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimj1369
3 Replies

5. SCO

Installing SCSI Tape drive

Hello, I'm having some issues with installing SCSI tape drive on SCO 5.0.6 hardware config shows the following adapters %adapter 0xE800-0xE8FF 10 - type=alad ha=0 bus=0 id=7 fts=sto %adapter 0x0170-0x0177 15 - type=IDE ctlr=secondary dvr=wd %adapter - 3 - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananth_ak
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NOTICE: Stp: SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline

:( If anyone has solved this problem, please help me! Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: FCollet
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Modules Required For SCSI Tape?

I've got an HP9000 server and I'm trying to hook up a tape drive to it. When I go into "SAM-->Peripheral Devices-->Tape Drives", the tape isn't listed. I then choose to "ADD" a drive, and I get the following error. I know I need to install the "stape" module, but for some reason even that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quantumdude
2 Replies

8. Solaris

mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi- I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCSI Tape Error

When I am trying to read any tape I getthe following message on my screen: "stp: Error on SCSI tape=0 (ha=0 id=6 lun=0)" Does anybody know how to solve this problem and what the message means. I already have rebooted the server and cleaned the heads of the tape unit. HELP!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andre
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scsi tape drive.

I'm running SCO OS 505 on a Compaq proliant 1600, and my tape drive will just not work. It was working properly and whent to Sh?ts when I tried to get the cd rom working. I have uninstalled any configured tape drive and rebooted and then configured a tape drive and rebooted still nothing. I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikkin
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question