URGENT!! few unix/scrpting/ksh qns

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting URGENT!! few unix/scrpting/ksh qns
# 1  
Old 08-08-2008
URGENT!! few unix/scrpting/ksh qns

hey guys,
I have a few general qns, so I'd appreciate quick responses.

1. How do u read a file line by line and display its contents using KSH?
2. How to kill a process using only the name?
3. How to create an empty file with 1MB memory size?
4. How to append some content to an existing file using only sed command?

Please make it as simple and explanatory as possible. Thanx!!!
# 2  
Old 08-08-2008
Dont duplicate your post:

you will get better responces by following the rules.

https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...ns-urgent.html
# 3  
Old 08-08-2008
well, I'm a new user; so didn't know probz about duplicating... anywayz, this ain't any homework, i'm preparing for an interview, so just anticipating a few qns that I found online with really complex answers.. so I'd appreciate if someone could provide a simple solution to the qns plzzz..
# 4  
Old 08-08-2008
No duplicate or cross-posting, please read the rules.

Thread closed.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Urgent.!!! Multiple if within while loop ksh

Hi All, I'm trying to write while loop with multiple if conditions. Each and every if condition with different variables. whenever one if condition fails i have remove the file from filename and have to pick another file and loop should exit until the last file found in filename. Please help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kayal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Command Urgent Help!

Hi All, i am new on this forum, can someone please answer the following questions as i am also new for UNIX, you help would be much appreciated: 1. How do you delete the full directory hierarchy? 2. How do you find out all process run by user Kamran ? 3. how would you extract something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kami151
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain How ":=" works in shell scrpting

Hi , can any one explain how in the below code ":=" working in shell programming. L_DEBUG=${L_DBG:=N} if ; then set -x fi Thanks muddasas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muddasani
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk scrpting

Hi I have 2 files of large size( 10 Miilions) , i want to join 2 files based on some condition . for this taking lot of time and 100 cpu .i want to iterate the based on some value (like 1 lakh) I put the 2 files in the associative arrays . if the array limit reaches the 1 lakh join the with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranmosarla
1 Replies

5. Solaris

qns about swap space

hi everyone there is some qns i would like to ask abt swap space. lets say i have a host computer which is running solaris and has 18 disks which adds up to 9.9tb. the qns i would like to ask is that does all the 18 disks need to have a swap space partition or do i just create a swap space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redemption
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few general unix qns..URGENT!!

hey guys, I have a few general qns on unix, so I'd appreciate quick responses. 1. How do u read a file line by line and display its contents using KSH? 2. How to kill a process using only the name? 3. How to create an empty file with 1MB memory size? 4. How to append some content to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasuke_uchiha
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

HP Unix | Urgent Need Help

Hi, I'm new to unix and i'm using HP Unix I tried the following and getting error like 1. $sam sh:sam not found 2.Also i want to monitor/trace other user's command what they are using when am in to the same server Appreciate if any one help on this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgobinathan
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent help needed for ksh shell setting

Today I logged as root on my HP-UX server and by mistake executed below command # ksh -i vi Then onwards for every root logging the ksh shell giving wired output to every command e.g # ls kÚ .brw_history .brwpause .brwtmp : : : 1+~H4p+À+~KÑ 1+Ðè d 15kÚ 1d+~èYÑd:ðè½h|À+~èY4:àh|À+ And so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent help on ksh

hi all i have to copy files from server A to server B,and at the same time create a back up of the existing files on server B and delete the uncommonm files between both the servers,please any help will be appreciated. thnks bkan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bkan77
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Need your help --New to Unix

I am getting data like this in a flat file seg No Test A4 0000002595, A2, test ,Datatest Test, A1 0000002595, A1,SELF , Employed,1,2,3,400.50 Test, A2 0000002595, A2, test ,Data,eurp Test, A3 0000002595, A2, test ,Data I need to produce a flat file so that output file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikeng
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question