Mandrake should be faster.

Special Forums IP Networking Mandrake should be faster.
# 15  
Old 04-11-2002
Good point ASKIA i forgot about that but still 3 seconds isnt much when ihave to wait like 45-60 seconds for a page to load.
# 16  
Old 04-11-2002
The point is that all moderns operating systems are fast enough on the same hardware and it is almost always NOT the OS that causes the bottlenecks, it is normally problems in the network or in the network configuration.

It takes me longer to load Microsoft Word on Windows 98 than to open up a browser and pull up this forum... because of cable modems (sorry our friend on 28.8 dialup!) and the fact that the browser is less bloated software than Microsoft Word. (that is IE and not recent Netscape Mozilla code... that seems really slow!)

When the net is slow I don't blame the fact that the www.unix.com server is running on Slackware Linux and I'm using a browser over the net on a little Windows 98 laptop Smilie Likewise, when the net is fast, I don't complain that Microsoft Word opens slower than the forums across the net Smilie

Glad we got this straight .....
# 17  
Old 04-12-2002
Very valid points, but keep in mind comparing anything to IE is unfair, since it's very tightly integrated with explorer.exe...

I think a lot of systems that people want to "be faster" have simply not been optimized. This is a manual process, but if fairly simple on a Linux system. A great book that touches upon this is "Red Hat Linux Security and Optimization" (ISBN 0-7645-4754-2).

It will walk you through tuning your filesystems, kernel, and network daemons to your needs.
# 18  
Old 04-12-2002
Interesting

Good Info ASKIA. I have been using Linux and (FBSD recently) for a few years and really believe that there would'nt be much reason to use Unix if it did not offer superior performance. As far as the network conditions- just because I'm at home doesn't mean I want to pay $40.00 per month and tolerate slow internet. Dialup access here (Irvine local loop) is horrible!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

mandrake

I just installed mandrake 9.2, and all I want right now is for gaim to allow me to use msn.. The version I got now is 0.59.? and I have tried to get the latest version but when I downloaded the rpm it said that there were errors... can someone help... for my rpm packaging I have went to Urpmi and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flimzzy
3 Replies

2. SuSE

mandrake problem

ihave mandrake 9.2 (will upgrade soon to 10) but anyways, i can't get the Hard drive or the CD-ROM or Floppy to show up on the desktop. can anyone help me out? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_newbe
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake 10

i just got mandrake 10 and i installed xine the latest why does it crash my xserver and how do i fix this problem in mandrake 8 - 9.2 i had no problmes with xine until now with 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2004
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help mandrake os

my hdd root dir keeps dumping on me but when i install i use native linux format i i lost again yesterday is there a recovery methead? or a safe mode that i can go into ? i made a boot disk is it wise to let the formater program to auto alcate? give me a 5gb root drive and a 37gb home i relly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake 7.2 Installation

Hi all, I'm waiting (impatiently) for the Mandrake 9.0 CD's to arrive. I have scored Man 7.2 and wish to meet the Penguin straight away. So, I changed my BIOS to boot from CD and got underway but it only picked up my Windows hard drives (seperate physical drives). I have a third hard drive... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: onestepto
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake question

Hi, I recently started running Mandrake Linux with the KDE desktop. Today instead of starting up the desktop, it stayed at the command prompt. What is the linux command for starting the KDE environment? Thanks alot! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke314pi
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake

I read the old posts about dual booting windows and linux, and I just wanted to clarify something: If I buy the mandrake version of linux, will that by itself partition the hard drive, or do I still have to get a copy of partition magic? If the mandrake version can do it, is it an easy process? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke314pi
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake and os X

can i run mac os X stuff in mandrake? on a intel computer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake 7.0 and X

I have problems. I have to use Mandrake 7.0 for a college course and I have it installed and I can do all the command line stuff, but I want to get to the GUI. Problem is, I can't start X. SO, after doing some searching on google, I downloaded XFree86 4.0.1 and the latest driver for my video... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
2 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mandrake 8.1

Hi all, I have copied three .ISO files for Mandrake 8.1 from a Linux DVD onto my work LAN. They are: Mandrake81-cd1-inst.I586.iso Mandrake81-cd2-ext.I586.iso Mandrake81-cd3-supp.I586.isoThey're all +650M in size and I'd like to know what I need to do in order to create the three CD's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question