upgraded to OSX 10.6.6 - cannot sudo

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) upgraded to OSX 10.6.6 - cannot sudo
# 1  
Old 01-29-2011
[Solved] upgraded to OSX 10.6.6 - cannot sudo

I've been using "sudo" inside Terminal. I just upgraded to 10.6.6 and now "sudo" gives me incorrect password errors.

My user is an admin user, so i can install etc on GUI but unable to do anything in terminal.

1. I did a repair permissions and restarted but cannot sudo.

2. i had an existing dummy user. i made it admin, changed to it, but cannot sudo there too.

3. /etc/sudoers file has not changed since 2009. I don;t have permissions to view it, but can change permissions in Finder and then cat it.

4. Tried Directory Utility, but this has no option for setting root user. Downloaded ServerAdmin 10.5.7 but it does not work on my Macbook.

5. Some suggest adding my user to wheel group, but i cannot do that without sudo.

Thanks in advance.

(Macbook. Intel Snow Leopard, 10.6.6)

---------- Post updated 01-29-11 at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous update was 01-28-11 at 11:00 PM ----------

Moderator: please delete this question.
I found that Textpander was expanding the password resulting in the password failing.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Cut Over to New Data Center and Upgraded OS Done. :)

Three days ago we received an expected notice from our long time data center that they were going dark on Sept 12th. About one and a half hours ago, after three days of marathon work, I just cut over the unix.com to a new data center with a completely new OS and Ubuntu distribution. (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
22 Replies

2. Solaris

Upgraded BIOS - cannot see Solaris partition??

I have recently upgraded my Supermicro X10SAT motherboard. I have also a SSD with a Windows10 partition and a Solaris 11.3 partition. Upon boot I press F11 and choose which partition I want to boot into. But after the bios upgrade, I cannot see the Solaris partition when I press "F11" to choose... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
9 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Tapatalk Upgraded

Hello, FYI, I upgraded our Tapatalk Version to version 4.8.1 today (from version 4.3.2). All seem to be OK but we never know! Please post in this thread if you see any problems after the upgrade. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

The ISS has upgraded to Linux

Remember this thread from a few years ago? What a difference just a few years make! Those laptops I mentioned were running Windows. Then one of the Russians got an infected thumb drive. It infected his laptop and spread throughout the ISS. NASA ordered a switch to Linux to ensure that it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

Hi All, I running a unix command using sudo option inside shell script. Its working well. But in crontab the same command is not working and its throwing "sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo". I do not have root permission to add or change settings for my userid. I can not even ask... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apple1221
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use the Sudo command. "0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for sudo because:"

Hi! I'm very new to unix, so please keep that in mind with the level of language used if you choose to help :D Thanks! When attempting to use sudo on and AIX machine with oslevel 5.1.0.0, I get the following error: exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program sudo because of the following errors:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chloe123
1 Replies

8. Programming

Getting the random failure after upgraded the gcc version 3.1 to 3.4.6

I am getting the a random failure after upgrading the gcc version 3.1 to 3.4.6. My code where it is failing contains some STL and shared memory concepts.It is perfectly working on old version of gcc.I want to know what are possible causes that made this random error after upgrading gcc 3.4.6. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilkumawat
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Sol10 upgraded from 5.8 - shell issues?

I'm having issues after upgrading to Sol10 from 8. I have developers who have ksh scripts which execute profiles and such. I get errors from "/dev/null: cannon create" to "stty:no such device or address", to "bad string", etc. I have checked the link to /dev/null (its fine). I have a case open with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buffsluft
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
GKSU(1) 							   User Commands							   GKSU(1)

NAME
gksu - GTK+ frontend for su and sudo SYNOPSIS
gksu gksu [-u <user>] [options] <command> gksudo [-u <user>] [options] <command> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly gksu and gksudo gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. Notice that all the magic is done by the underlying library, libgksu. Also notice that the library will decide if it should use su or sudo as backend using the /apps/gksu/sudo-mode gconf key, if you call the gksu command. You can force the backend by using the gksudo command, or by using the --sudo-mode and --su-mode options. If no command is given, the gksu program will display a small window that allows you to type in a command to be run, and to select what user the program should be run as. The other options are disregarded, right now, in this mode. OPTIONS
--debug, -d Print information on the screen that might be useful for diagnosing and/or solving problems. --user <user>, -u <user> Call <command> as the specified user. --disable-grab, -g Disable the "locking" of the keyboard, mouse, and focus done by the program when asking for password. --prompt, -P Ask the user if they want to have their keyboard and mouse grabbed before doing so. --preserve-env, -k Preserve the current environments, does not set $HOME nor $PATH, for example. --login, -l Make this a login shell. Beware this may cause problems with the Xauthority magic. Run xhost to allow the target user to open win- dows on your display! --description <description|file>, -D <description|file> Provide a descriptive name for the command to be used in the default message, making it nicer. You can also provide the absolute path for a .desktop file. The Name key for will be used in this case. --message <message>, -m <message> Replace the standard message shown to ask for password for the argument passed to the option. Only use this if --description does not suffice. --print-pass, -p Ask gksu to print the password to stdout, just like ssh-askpass. Useful to use in scripts with programs that accept receiving the password on stdin. --su-mode, -w Force gksu to use su(1) as its backend for running the programs. --sudo-mode, -S Force gksu to use sudo(1) as its backend for running the programs. SEE ALSO
su(1), sudo(1) gksu version 2.0.x August 2006 GKSU(1)