simple modem setup question from new comer

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers simple modem setup question from new comer
# 1  
Old 04-14-2002
simple modem setup question from new comer

How do you adjust the volume on a modem internally. I know there is a setting to turn off the speaker during handshake and leave it on while dialing. Could someone help me please?
# 2  
Old 04-17-2002
Usually, this can be done with the AT commands of your modem. Check the manual (unfortunately, my modem days are long ago so I don't know anymore what the 'standard' command was - well, maybe not unfortunately *g*)
Lexx
# 3  
Old 04-17-2002
If you are using a Hayes-compatible modem (with the AT* command set), this may help, depending on what you want.
If you want to change volume, use ATL#, where "#" is: 0 for low-volume, 1 is for slightly higher volume, 2 is medium, and 4 is high-volume.
To switch the speaker on and off, ATM# would be used, where "#" is: 0 for speaker off, 1 to turn the speaker on until it detects a carrier (usually used by default), 2 always keep the speaker on while the modem is off hook, or 3 to turn the speaker on until the carrier is detected, except for when actually dialing the number.

From what I understand, you just want to hear the dial, and nothing else (negotiation, etc...). I don't think this is possible for almost all modem, but I'm not sure.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to setup prolink 3.5g hsdpa usb modem in Solaris 11.2?

hi, I am new to solaris, i download the solaris 11.2 support library and as well search the google but didn't find any information about how to setup usb 3g modem in solaris 11.2, any one can please help me with giving any information or web link? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamsat
6 Replies

2. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

Writing simple python setup commands

Building software in most languages is a pain. Remember ant build.xml, maven2 pom files, and multi-level makefiles? Python has a simple solution for building modules, applications, and extensions called distutils. Disutils comes as part of the Python distribution so there are no other packages... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem setup under Digital Unix

Hi All, I am trying to set up a modem (using SLIP) on a Digital (well it used to be) AlphaStation running Digital Unix V7E. I assume that I have to put an entry into /remote but can anyone suggest the contents and formatting. Apologies for being so naive but I'm an ex VMS person. Thanks and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roslynlea
1 Replies

5. Solaris

modem setup solaris 10 x86

I,am trying to configure an external multitech 5656zdx modem for dial in mode on a serial port using a dell 1800 server with solaris 10 for intel as the OS. It answers only once, further attemps fail, I have to reboot system before it will work again. I also used an older model 3334zdx which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albm
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Apache Question - Securing against unwanted use with cable modem

I have built a Linux machine in my home using Mepis Linux and I'm running Apache on it. I want to use Apache on my machine and use it as testing area for web pages and other applications. I use a cable modem to connect to the internet. The Linux box is connected to a router, which connects... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Doctor_Morbius
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cable Modem, Unix, XP Computer Primary, need advice setup!

I have a XP computer which is my primary. I recently, well just today installed a old version of Mandrake Linux 6.5 I had laying on a self collecting dust on a old PII 233mhz that had to be vacummed out before I could use it. I have my XP computer connected by 10/100 NIC to a cable modem. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfunkle
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem Setup??

Hi, I've been having problems setting up the modem connect to a Sparc ultra 10. The modem has an adaptor on it which plugs into the parallel port. I have read the man pages and checked sunslove, these only give setup for com port 1. Can anyone shed any light on Parallel port setup? I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonathan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modem Setup

Hi: I am trying to setup a modem in Solaris 8. I got connected and the following messages comes on screen. CONNECT 9600 Press ENTER key to clear line and begin login. Press ENTER key to clear line and begin login. Enter Password -> Enter Password -> Enter Password -> I tried root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question