the FROM field ":1.0" means what?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers the FROM field ":1.0" means what?
# 1  
Old 06-28-2010
the FROM field ":1.0" means what?

when I used command w to list who are login the system,
I found one entry like this:
Code:
root     pts/34   :1.0             Thu04   28:42m  0.01s  0.00s -bash

according to the manual, that field should indicates the IP where the user from.

But :1.0 means what? It is IP ??????
# 2  
Old 06-28-2010
X11

X11 display 1.0.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What does "force devmap reload" as in "multipath -r" means for my system and stability of my system?

Cannot present unpresented disks back again. On a test server tried this as a solution "multipath -r" and it worked. Too worried to try it in production before I know all the information. Any info would be appreciated! Also some links to the documentation on this specific issue could help a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsteppe
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk,sed : change every 2nd field ":" to "|"

Hi Experts, I have a string with colon delimited, want 2nd colon to be changed to a pipe. data: 101:8:43:4:72:14:41:69:85:3:137:4:3:0:4:0:9:3:0:3:12:3: I am trying with sed, but can change only 1 occurance: echo "101:8:43:4:72:14:41:69:85:3:137:4:3:0:4:0:9:3:0:3:12:3:" | sed 's/:/|/2'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Means to check if some process is running on "n" number of machines

Team, I would like to know, if we have any command in Solaris to verify, if some process is listening on a port on a set of machines. for eg: Wrote the below script, and found that when a process is listening on that port, then it just waits there and doesnt come out. Rather, I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgforsunil
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What does "__FD_PRN_" means in perl code ?

I have seen something like this in a perl code: $_ =~ s/__FD_PRN_/\\(/g What does this "__FD_PRN_" means. I have searched google but was not able to find any info regarding this. Appreciate if some one can refer to a link for these characters. From comments/code it used to substitue "(" with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What does "Eris Free" means, from the acronym EFNET

Ok so I have searched google pretty exstensively to find this out, no luck so far . . . Basically I wanted to know what "Eris Free" means, from the acronym EFNET. I was thinking that Eris is generally to do with discordianism, but have so far only found it as a reference to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What "-a" operator means in "if" statement

Hi I am trying to figure out what the following line does, I work in ksh88: ] && LIST="$big $LIST" Not sure what "-a" means in that case. Thanks a lot for any advice -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file "pax_global_header" means what?

I'm using Red Hat 9.0, the kernel is 2.4.20-8, I want to update the kernel , go to www.kernel.org and then download the linux-2.4.37.7.tar.bz2 to /root # ll total 88576 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1057 Dec 1 03:23 anaconda-ks.cfg -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13205 Dec ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Any idea what this counter means "tcpTimRetrans"

I am chasing an issue where I see drop packets, in order to dig the problem further I issue netstat -s -P tcp command which shows me the stats from the tcp perspective. In that stats I see a counter which is "tcpTimRetrans" which increments along with "tcpRetransSegs". When both of these counter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: purechgo
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question