Have two SunFire boxes

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Have two SunFire boxes
# 1  
Old 08-21-2012
Have two SunFire boxes

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and probably 'unix for dummies' or maybe unix hardware for dummies is a good place to post my question.

I'm the I S manager for a small county, just myself and one good tech. We recently had two SunFire T2000 boxes donated to us. We both have a little linux experience and I have had a little experience with hpux and sco from many years ago but we're a little short when it comes to Solaris or Sun hardware. The two systems we are getting are "new" in that they have never been taking out of the box, never used, everything still factory sealed and in the original upopened boxes and the boxes still sealed with the original tape with the Sun logo. The label on the boxes has a date of October 22, 2008. We don't have them yet as they are being shipped in but what I do know is they have a single 4-core 1Gig Sparc processors, 8 gib ram, and two 73 gig sas drives, and they both have Solaris 10 pre-installed. While we'd like to use them as they are, our concern is if there is any Solaris licensing requirements we need to be aware of before we put them to use. We were also wondering if we would be able to install Linux on them since it's more familiar to us, or maybe OpenSolaris if licensing might be an issue. Suggestions ? and thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 08-22-2012
1. for licensing purposes talk to oracle
2. linux: NO! (yes there are some sparc distributions but i wouldn't try it on a sun4v system)
3. for everything else check Oracle Documentation

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

new sun boxes

Hi, we plan to purchase new sun solaris server M4000 for oracle erp as we have old servers we want to upgrade it with new servers and would like to know query related to it. 1)what is Operating system version will comes with new servers and bit size either 32 bit or 64 bit?? 2)bit size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maooah
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Plotting boxes in gnuplot

When I plot a set of data in gnuplot from a file like: 1 5 2 3 4 6 5 1 using plot "file.txt" w boxes I would expect that at the x value of 3 it will go to a value of 0 for y... but it doesn't. Is there a way to fix that, or do I actually have to type by hand an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP and DMZ boxes

Hi I would like write a script that will do sftp frm a box that resides inside the FW to a box that resides in DMZ.Any ideas guys.I tried generating rsa keys for a particular user, however just want to know is there any other solution or not. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks CK (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 script 8 boxes and it is erroring on 3 of them

am trying to place a script from one hp11-unix box (where it works) onto three others where it won't. I am using csh and in the script I use the lines set F_SYSTEMS=(/dbs01 /dbs02 /dbm01 /dbm02 /ora_home/app/oracle) on this one the three others throw up on pulling the files. there should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cat55
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic Drop down boxes

Hello All, I am trying to come up with this interface with the backend on perl. The interface needs drop down boxes with dynamic chain loading ( as in contents of the 1st drop down box will populate the second drop down and so on) Any idea how I can do this? Kindly help Regards, Garric (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! Suggestions on what I can I use my 2 unix boxes for?

Once upon a looong time ago I used to work with Unix systems - SGI mainly. Now I've inherited 2 boxes - an SGI dual processor Octane and an Indigo2. For the past 2 years they've sat waiting for me to do something with them and never getting round to it. I run a windows network at home so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimmyChang
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun boxes

Hi, I'm looking to get hold of a sun machine capable of running Solaris 9 to help me learn unix. I've been advised to look on e-bay, but am not sure of what to look for. The below seems quite good..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1486&item=5707567514&rd=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: topcat8
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-UX boxes - am I mad?

Greetings, and thanks for having such an interesting forum! I currently have 3 Intel boxes running 2000, and two HP boxes running HP-UX 10.20. I am very inexperienced with the Unix/Linux world. I have several problems, mainly in getting them all networked together. I am constrained to keep a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Menace
3 Replies

9. Programming

text boxes, radio buttons , check boxes in c++ on unix

Hi ! Please tell me how to get radio buttons, text boxes , check boxes , option buttons , pull down menus in C++ on Unix. I think it would be done using curses.h ..but that's all i know. TIA, Devyani. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devy8
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

Clustering Two Ultra 5 Boxes

Can someone please help me to cluster two SUN Ultra 5 Boxes to run a application ? I am running Solaris 7 with two Ethernet NICs in each box. The Primary nics have a address of 10.10.10.24x and the other two nics have a multicast address of 224.0.1.27 each. I want to run a application at work... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: keyur
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question