Problem with installing mandrake 7.2

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problem with installing mandrake 7.2
# 1  
Old 10-20-2003
Problem with installing mandrake 7.2

I was trying to install mandrake 7.2 in my newly brought used intel pentium III processor with no operating system installed in it. In the boot sequence in the BIOS there is no "boot from the cdrom" option so I made a "boot disk" to boot from the floppy drive.
While booting from the floppy I got some thing like this

" What is the type of the cdrom you have?"
SCSI
other CDROM.

When I hit "other CDROM" option then I am getting many options but none are working on it.IT only says "cannot load the module".

I am getting this message even before i enter the cd in to the drive.

Can some body here can solve this mystery...?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
# 2  
Old 10-21-2003
I am assuming it is an IDE CDROM? Make sure that the CDROM drive is functional, and recognized. Some BIOSes will not display a boot option for a cdrom if the cdrom drive was not detected properly, or at all. Make sure that Primary Master, Slave and Secondary Master, Slave are all set to 'AUTO'. If all else fails, borrow another cdrom drive to test.
# 3  
Old 10-21-2003
Thanks alot.
Yes man your are absolutly right...there is fault with the cdrom drive. The BIOS is not recognising the cdrom at all.
If i install the new cdrom(which is working properly) can i get a option in the "boot from the cdrom option" in the boot sequence of the BIOS?
Or should I need to update the BIOS setting by going to the website of the mother board manufactuerer and d/l new a new BIOS version so that BIOS can recognise "boot from the cdrom" option.
Any help is highly appreciated.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

problem installing rhel 6

I have dexx xps 14.I was installing rhel6.But the installation hanged at following step initializing hardware detection................. installion didnt go further (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamapraveen
2 Replies

2. Solaris

problem while installing on X-86

Hi all, I tried to install Sun Solaris 10 on a X-86 based machine. I have dedicated entire diskspace to create auto partition. My hardware config is below: Main Board : Asus Processor : Intel 945 , 3 G/Hz RAM : 1 Gigs Diskspace : 80 Gigs When I install, installation goes successful.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
1 Replies

3. Solaris

problem installing pine

when i try to build pine unix tells me it can't find make # ./build xxx make args are CC=cc soc Including LDAP functionality ln: cannot create c-client: File exists ln: cannot create mtest: File exists ln: cannot create mailutil: File exists ln: cannot create imapd: File exists ln:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vutty81
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help. I have a problem with installing FreeBSD

hi. I am newbie in Unix. I wanted to install Free BSD 5.2.1 to my computer which winXp was already installed. But i couldn't. I chose Standard. Then it said you are going to use dos style fdisk partitioning. Then a window displayed begining like this. WARNING: A geometry of 155127/16/63 for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sualcavab
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem installing Solaris 9

Hi all, i am new in solaris, i have a solris server Ultra 60, when i turn on the server show me the follow error: Bad magic number in disk label can`t open disk label package Boot device: net File and args: Timeouot waiting for ARP/RARP packet Timeouot waiting for ARP/RARP packet .... I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elimunoz
3 Replies

6. Linux

Mandrake 8.00 installation/Booting problem...Plz Help

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have a problem with Mandrake 8.00; i have installed it on my old PC with no problems (none mentioned) but on re-booting after the installation it just hangs after listing the devices: Hard Disk, CD-ROM & Floppy A. I have installed it on Packard Bell with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybella1
2 Replies

7. Slackware

Installing Mandrake

I am pretty new to Unix/linux and have been itching to use a linux os for a while. And after some research i found that Mandrake was the best for someone like me. I need to know what files i need to download to make a boot disc(s) to make my laptop run only linux. The laptop runs around 200-500mhz... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Infidel
10 Replies

8. SuSE

mandrake problem

ihave mandrake 9.2 (will upgrade soon to 10) but anyways, i can't get the Hard drive or the CD-ROM or Floppy to show up on the desktop. can anyone help me out? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_newbe
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Here's the fix for the SiS 7012/7018 sound problem in Mandrake 8.2

Edit your /etc/modules.conf file to either remove or comment out the two lines : alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-intel8x0 above snd-card-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss ...and replace them with the following line: alias sound i810_audio ....viola! After saving and rebooting, now I gots da sound!... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DownSouthMoe
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake 8.1 + W98SE Problem

Sup Ok, here is the problem. I bought Linux Manrake v.8.1 Power Pack Edition I booted it up, and got to the partitioning part of the installation. As Manrake users would know, there are several options that you can install with. There is Custom Patitioning, Format and load w/ Linux on it, add... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KyPeN
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question