Creating files

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating files
# 1  
Old 12-04-2010
Creating files

I know cat can be used to create new files but

how to create multiple files(above 10) simultaneously ....

can we use pipes?
# 2  
Old 12-04-2010
To just create files, use touch.
Code:
touch file1 file2 file3 file4 file5...

# 3  
Old 12-04-2010
thanx..
# 4  
Old 01-14-2011
Hi. on similar lines.. i need to create thousands of empty files for testing. i usually use the above or a for i loop but this would be no good for thousands of files. Is there a while less than 10000 type loop. (keep creating files "increment filename by 1" till you reach 10000 of them) type thing.
# 5  
Old 01-14-2011
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
i=1
while [ i -le 10000 ]; do
      touch file$i
      i=$(expr $i + 1)
done

# 6  
Old 01-14-2011
Bingo

Thank you very much. works a treat. exacly what i was after.
# 7  
Old 01-14-2011
Let's speed things up a little:
Code:
i=0
while [ i -lt 10000 ]; do
  printf "%s\n" "file$((i+=1))"
done |
xargs -n32 touch

ksh93/bash:
Code:
echo file{1..10000} | xargs -n32 touch

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-14-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not looping or creating files

So my script is supposed to repeat for every server in my file, but as of now it is getting stuck on my awk commands # Read file cred.txt (with one IP per line), connect to servers (one at a time), and download directory listing i=1 param=$(sed -n "{$1}p" $parm_dir/cdm_param.txt) #Get the last... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJCreations
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating zip files

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have to pick csv files from another unix server by searching the list of files by their name and then copy to my server. Then I want to create their zip file and save it on my server. How can I do it using unix shell script. Please help me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil029
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating two files out of one file

Hi members, I have a file with lots of text like this: asdsfkm dfsfomnow i want to extract only the rows with HUMAN as its 1st column for this I used : ruby -ne 'print if /^Human/; exit if /^TER/' $line | awk 'print $1, "\t"$2, "\t"$3, "\t"$4, "\t"$5}' >$line"new" This is creating a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CAch
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating files with New User

Hello All, I just created a new user on a server running SLES 11, and I created the user using the command below: # useradd -G nagios scpuser But whenever I create a file or directory while logged in as this user it creates the file's ownership permissions as "scpuser:users" instead of it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help creating a script to FTP files to a server and then delete the files that were transfered.

I am trying to FTP files to a Windows server through my Linux machine. I have setup the file transfer with no problems but am having problem deleting those files from the Linux box. My current non-working solution is below. Any ideas, anyone?? :wall: Please be gentle, I'm fairly new to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmalfhs
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a matrix from files.

I need to create a large matrix so that I can feed that matrix to MATLAB for processing. The problem is creating that matrix because my data is completely scattered around files. 1. I have one big dictionary file which has words in newlines, like apple orange pineapple 2. I have some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating CSV files

hi, Need a lil help experts. i have a sh file and its calling one SQL file. i need the dataset returned by that SQL file in a CSV format. Can you plz help me out at the earliest. waiting eagerly .. :confused: Thanks.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyniladri
10 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating empty files

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a single command to create a new empty file in P1 called cloud9, I have to do it from my current working directory which is P3 cd ../ away P1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dat350z
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating CSV Files

I have a requiremnt to create one CSV file with initial 5 lines as blank rows. From 5th row onwards the file is to be created from a list of varibales which gets evaluated. Say A,B,C,D,E are 5 varibales with some value associated with each of them and data type is string. So the 6th row should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating new files

Hello , What is the easiest way to get into a directory in solaris and simply create a new file that you can then fill with content? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: montana77
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question