IPCop

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers IPCop
# 1  
Old 06-10-2003
IPCop

I had this in the Networking section but was not getting any answers. Does anyone here know anything about this software?

I just recently heard about IPCop. I am curious if anyone knows anything about this program/os and if I should attempt to use it. I currently have a cable modem connected straight to my pc with a trial version firewall. But what I want is to setup IPCop on a pc and connect the cable modem to it then connect that pc to a hub/switch and connect my computers to it. Also, I am curious if with this setup I could connect my work laptop to it and then use my work vpn client? A lot of questions, I know but I haven't had the time to read up on this yet and I need to set it up tomorrow or buy a router, if I set it up this way I don't have to buy anything because I have all the listed items. Thanks for any and all help. Oh, and if I have put this in the wrong thread please move it or let me know thanks.
# 2  
Old 06-10-2003
To forestall yet another repost...

Nope, never heard of IPCop. I don't have the foggiest idea as to whether you should use it or not.

This happens sometimes...no one knows everything.
# 3  
Old 06-10-2003
I know nothing about IPcop but here's my take:
Although a router may cost money, I think that would be the way to go. The router can do NAT translation and is very easily configurable with regards to VPN, ports, etc. Also, you may want to think about a wireless router since you mentioned that you have a laptop. Again, the router and any NIC card you may have to buy will cost money, but they are getting cheaper by the minute. Check out slickdeals.net for, you guessed it, slick deals.
# 4  
Old 06-10-2003
I have the vaguest of ideas what it is. As an alternative I could recommend Smoothwall GPL which I know for sure can do VPN (using FreeSWAN), it is also GPL and is some good British software Smilie
I think that most of your questions will be answered in IPCops Manual/FAQ/Home Page ; people like to blow their own trumpet about features.
You might find more people with an opinion of it at Linux specific forums, like www.newtolinux.org.uk/forums/ www.linuxnewbie.org www.linuxquestions.org http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net and www.freemypc.com/forums/ and perhaps also you should try www.adslguide.org.uk

Hope they are something to go on.

Last edited by Tux; 06-10-2003 at 05:59 PM..
# 5  
Old 06-10-2003
Tux

Thanks for the links, I will check some of them out. Just so you know IPCop is written with the same code as SmoothWall GPL. They just supposedly didn't like the direction SmoothWall was going so they made IPCop. I have already found some more info about it now. Thanks for the help all.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Login or Register to Ask a Question