How to prevent emails as spam?

Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support How to prevent emails as spam?
# 1  
Old 10-23-2015
How to prevent emails as spam?

If an email is sent from our application server(running on AIX) to an id that is outside of the organization like gmail etc, and if gmail should not treat the mail as spam, what has to be done from unix level?
# 2  
Old 10-23-2015
We want to help you, but, in order to do that, we have to understand what you are trying to do.

Are you saying that mail you are sending to users with email addresses ending with @gmail.com and the people receiving that mail are marking it as spam? Are you asking how to keep users who receive your mail from marking it as spam?
# 3  
Old 10-23-2015
If there was a flag that could set a flag to say "This is not spam" when sending a message, then every spammer would set it, so it would be of no use. There is nothing you can tag onto the message to say you are legitimate.

As far as I am aware, the rules to whether a message is spam or not may be set at many places in the delivery route. Some organisation filter outgoing mail, some ISPs filter and potentially blacklist mail and those receiving it also will. You will possible have to trace a your message through with the people that manage the various parts to see where it is getting blocked and negotiate for it's release/reclassification.

Of course with a gmail address as the target, this will be very difficult if you can see it leaving your organisation but it still does not arrive.

Sorry to not have better news/suggestions.

Robin
# 4  
Old 11-22-2015
Gmail uses its own scanning and logic to know whether the incoming mail on their mailboxes is SPAM, promotional, solicited or un-solicited mail.

then based on feedbacks from various users they would internally classify your mail server and the action they want.
what I mean feedback is they seem to calculate how many of those mails were moved to inbox by users, how many tried un-subscribing, and how many reported it as phishing or spam.

There's no hard or fast rule, but if you play fair and safe, Gmail would have no problems accepting your mail directly to their users Inbox.
# 5  
Old 11-24-2015
Do you send the email out through the same outbound server as the rest of your company email?
If you are sending the email out directly from the AIX machine, then you need to have a reverse dns entry.
# 6  
Old 11-24-2015
Gmail marks anything that fails a reverse DNS check as spam
# 7  
Old 12-05-2015
Which email software are you using on your AIX server? If it is something like "sendmail" then explore the Domain Masquerade function to ensure that the email appears to be sent from your company's external DNS-registered domain name. Further enhancements would be ensuring that the return path email address is a valid email address and that the Subject line is unique.

Spoofing server-generate email so that it will get past spam filters is an art which thankfully many of the spammers have not mastered.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent Accidents 'rm -rf *'?

When invoking unix commands from other third party tools (IBM ETL), we run the rm / mv commands with the folder as argument been passed. Eg rm -rf {folder}/* when the parameter {folder} did not pass rightly or becomes blank, the command becomes dangerous to execute rm -rf /* How to prevent... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
9 Replies

2. Solaris

Emails issue

Dear all, I am facing an issue in my data Center environment related to mails being generated by users on my machines. Let me walk you through the issue one by one. Each system (100+ servers in my DC) has a user sysmon on it that sends mails to a specific Email ID. The user runs scripts... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

send emails

hi guys I need to send emails to some accounts 1. I need sendmail up and running right? 2. I need my local sendmail to use an existing SMTP server to send emails (10.x.x.x)? in that case what I need to configure to send emails? since using mail myaccount@companyame.com is not sending emails... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

examples of hyperlinks in emails

Hi All, Im using bash on a sloaris box. I am using mailx to send emails from the unix box to internal email accounts. Does anyone have an example of how I can generate a hyperlink within the email body so that when the recipeint recieves the email, they can click on the link and the link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete Old Spam Emails Custom Cron

Hey Guys, I've done some research however I got stuck. My goal is to create a cron job that runs every hour and goes through all web accounts on my server and deletes spam emails that are older than 3 days. This is what I came up with: 0 * * * * find /home/*/mail/*/*/.spam/cur/* -type f... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plxkarl
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emails on HP-UX

Hi Guys I am running Oracle database on HP-UX, every now and then I get emails that are sent to me by root. When check with the sysadmin know one have a clue as to where does the emails come from. I need to stop this emails...how do I check which script is sending me the emails. Thanks ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

duplicate emails

Hi all new here. Question. My mail server is sending out duplicate emails but its not system wide. We have several virtual host that use our email server and some are having the duplicate emails issue and some are not. For example in the office some people are getting duplicate emails but i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcraul
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating emails

Hi, I posted here 2 months ago, saying I wanted to learn UNIX for my work running a small ISP. I had the problem of practically no technical support for our system. Many courses later, I can just about do everything I need to do. The server is a FreeBSD i386. I can now create email accounts for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferret495
4 Replies

9. Programming

how to prevent deadlock on this...

I am using linux termios structure to configure serial port and read the port by read function. For some reason, if I read the whole buffer, almost every time the buffer does not contain the correct reply message sequence from a device sending reply to my linux PC. So I use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yimab
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question