Validation using While and IF

Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Validation using While and IF
# 1  
Old 11-13-2018
Validation using While and IF

I am learning Shell scripting on own. I am trying to do an assignment to get details from the user like username their individual marks ,DOB and send a report in mail with the Details calculated like total and average.

Code:
validate_marks() {
  local Value=$1
  if [ "${Value}" -ge "0" ] && [ "${Value}" -le "100" ]
  then
  return 0
  else
  echo "Enter numbers between 0-100"
  exit 1.
  fi

}
  echo "Enter Marks for each subject:"
    read -p "Enter English Marks:" ENG
      validate_marks $ENG
    read -p "Enter Maths Marks:" MATHS
      validate_marks $MATHS
    read -p "Enter Science Marks:" SCI
      validate_marks $SCI
    read -p "Enter History Marks:" HIST
      validate_marks $HIST
    read -p "Enter your Email id:" EMAIL
      validate_email $EMAIL

In the validate marks function I am checking if the value entered is between 0 -100 if it is more return error and go back to prompt until it is correct. How do I achieve this
# 2  
Old 11-13-2018
First, replace the exit 1 by return 1.
Then loop around the input until it's okay.
Code:
until
  read ... &&
  validate ...
do
  :
done

Here it checks the exit status of the read and the validate. If not 0(=okay) it runs the empty loop body and repeats.
The : (noop) satisfies the syntax.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value validation

Hi All I am trying to validate a value using if condition requirement is need to check whether its a valid numeric value the input contains ( space, #N/A and negative and positive decimal values and Zeros) if it contains the space, I need to display the error message as space ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File validation

Hi there, As a part of file validation, I needed to check for delimiter count in the file. My aim is to find, how many records have failed to have predefined numbers of delimiters in the file. My code looks like below i=`awk -F '|' 'NF != 2 {print NR, $0} ' ${pinb_fldr}/${pfile}DAT |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files validation

Hi, I want a script to do the following: 1)I want to find all latest files with extension *.doc and write those files to a log file which i did. my script: find *.doc -mtime -1 -ls > test.log 2) suppose if there is no such latest files extracts script should write "Server... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
8 Replies

4. Programming

URL Validation Help in C

Hi friends, I have been writing one c code to validate any url passed by a user. Here is the code I have so far coded. I am using one dictionary file to check values like http, https, www, ftp, etc for the URL that a user will pass for validation. My code so far holds good for every thing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prinsh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Name validation

Hi All, I need to write a small piece of code to check the following. name should contain (A-Z), spaces, hyphens & apostrophes I need to generate regular expressions for the same. Please help me out as i am not familiar with regular expressions. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lifzgud
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validation help

Hi, I am new to Unix shell scripting and need help to add some validation to an existing script. I've made a script that takes two argument (input) but I want the script to display an error message when nothing (null) is entered. So far I managed to validate the fist argument but fail to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen10
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename Validation

Hi All, We need to use & execute some several scripts before loading the data successfully using Informatica. Can you help me the below scenario: We will be receiving the files from different countries, and using ftp all the files will be placed onto the server. The file structure will be (.csv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: psr2009
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validation

I'm kinda new in shell scripting. How do i validate an input from a user to conform to requirement. For example, echo "Enter First Name: " read FName echo "Enter Date of Employment (dd/mm/yyyy): " read DoE If the user enters data that is alphanumeric, it accepts it. I hope i've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Allenzo
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

validation on a parameter

Hi guys! Im tryin to set up a login script that allows a user to login with only the following "forename.surname" . The username all contain lowercase letters so thats not a problem to sort out, but im having problems making sure that they can only enter 1 " . " . the code i have so far is this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Henley55
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Validation:

Hi I have below file with 3 rd column as date ....i want to make 3 column to mm/dd/yyyy . in the below file 2 row date is like 1/23/1994 so i want to append '0' to month i,e. 01/23/1994 and in the 3 row date is like 6/4/1994 ---so i want this to 06/04/1994 Source:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question