Linux logs

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux logs
# 1  
Old 03-02-2018
Linux logs

Hi,

In which file I can see linux logs for logging, file creation & deletation, chenge permission, running servicese etc. I know it is difficult for individual identification.

So can you suggest some basic files which helpful for monitoring & also they include logging of basic service as i said above.

/var/log/* it will include all the logs but I want to go specific. Please share any reference link or pdf if have.
# 2  
Old 03-02-2018
What you want is not logging but auditing.
System logs such as su log or messages provide rudimentary audit.

The stuff you would like to audit - files, services and applications needs additional configuration.
This is based on kernel module and is available on most distributions.

For instance, ARCH documentation
Audit framework - ArchWiki

A small disclaimer, i have not used those on linux systems in practice.

Regards
Peasant.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell to cleanup Linux logs

Hi,Looking for any generic shell scripts to cleanup systemlogs. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommy812
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

collect red hat linux error logs

Hi, I have two questions,first of all is where can I collect more error logs(the log under /var/log/messages), also give the corresponding explain is grateful.The second one is the log under various versions(such as red hat,suse,etc) is the same or not. Thanks for answers. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhaoyy
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

regarding logs

Hi , I am running an application on my windows and it logs are generated at /var/logs and for this i have to go this location and then do tail -f , Is there any command you can advise me so that when I execute this command at this location that logs get displayed fully and as the application... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

6. Linux

FTP Logs in Linux/Unix

Hi, I need to get a hostory of users who FTP into a server. How can I do it in Linux/Unix? Is there a command for this? I do not want to use netstat -a as it gives only the list of users who have a session currently on the server. Can this be done with the "last" command? Please do let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisendhil
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logs

Hy, I have a question I have a directory in a unix server, Some of my files have a diffrent access time, from the time i accessed them last, I think some one has copied it,it's not an important file,but none the less,it is my file,It mistakenly had a 777 permission( yes ,I know it is a noob's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lordmod
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logs

Hey Guys, i am new into shell programming and i have to do one script which have to record all the commands entered by a specific user. Example of that, i have a system running on unix, several users are using this system, i have to create like a databse which will record every user entered that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logs

can i include this command into my crontab file > /var/adm/wtmp to clear the contents on a regular basis ? what about file permissions ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
6 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Logs

hi My name is Juan I dont can clear wtmp and similiar files how i do it? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtapia
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question