FreeBSD or Linux

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FreeBSD or Linux
# 1  
Old 08-06-2003
FreeBSD or Linux

Hello all!

I have been using FreeBSD for years, however, I have colleagues who prefer Linux. For some reason we can never meet eye to eye on what the advantage is from one system to the other.

My question is, can anyone explain what the differences are between both systems in respect to each other?
# 2  
Old 08-07-2003
system V based, BSD based. for some people that makes up their minds right off the bat. its all personal preference. i would say though that linux has a larger development community.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Is it safe to install x86 Solaris 10 U6 after installed-Linux-and-FreeBSD?

I've installed Slack 14.2 on /dev/sda1 (/dev/sda2 is swap) and FreeBSD 12 on /dev/sda3 and lilo is the boot manager. FreeBSD slices are as follows; / on /dev/ada0S3a, swap on /dev/ada0s3e, /var on /dev/ada0s3b, /tmp on /dev/ada0s3d and /usr on /dev/ada0s3f. I hesitate to install Solaris 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"date" difference between FreeBSD & Linux

Hi there. I used to use lastdate=`date -v-14d %F` on my old server with FreeBSD, and now got to get the same result(current date -14 or -X days) in script running at another server, with Linux, but there's no such option for "date". How can i solve the prob(counting with absolute day number is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: strider_scripts
10 Replies

3. Fedora

FreeBSD or GNU/Linux?

Hi, i'm working on micro$oft windows based networking environment's. i want learn other os than micro$oft windows. i tested FreeBSD & Gnu/Linux (Fedora). both are similar. which of following is best choice for me? for networking? and which of them has future (for e.g not discontinued after 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skynet_boy
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Has anyone run the linux boinc client on FreeBSD

The reason I ask is because the einstein client in the freash ports is not the current one with boinc. No new work is being assigned. They sugested or asked if I could run boinc 6.10.17 linux in emulation and if so, I would be able to crunch einstein data. so, anyone done the linux emulation of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: droolin
0 Replies

5. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD or Linux, which one is more fit for new man

Hello everyone. I'm a Chinese student.I want to learn something about OS, someone suggests me start with FreeBSD or Linux. Please tell me which one is more fit for new man. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: discoverer8713
4 Replies

7. Programming

how to create freeBSD binaries in Linux or Windows

I have a trouble: i cannot install and use freeBSD for some reasons(have no computer now, and comps on my work are Windowsed), but I need to compile some UNIX sources for freeBSD(this one: http://ppcpp.sf.net/). What can I do? Are there a compilers, that can run in Windows, but can compile binaries... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
3 Replies

8. Programming

Compile freeBSD binaries in Linux

I have to compile some c-programm as a binary for freeBSD, but I have no possibility to install and work with freeBSD itself - can I compile the needed bninaries in other OSes (Linux or Windows)??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shalmoo
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat Linux - FreeBSD

Is there a major difference between this two flavours? I have read from the forums that Red Hat is ideal for newbies, but how about FreeBSD? In case of stability and usefulness/compatibility to hardware and third party software which one is the best bet? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie499
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd 4.5

i am new at unix and am VERY confused about the compression processes. what progs do i need to unzip and zip files? there must be a standard one similar to winzip? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mindscan
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question