Find and replace

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace
# 1  
Old 03-19-2015
Find and replace

Hi Team,

one silly issue. but its not working for me.

I need to find a pattern a file and replace it with the given value in another file.

Here's the code snippet.
Code:
Search_String=100
Replace_String=151
cat  ${work}/temp_${CSV_File}  |   sed  's|"${Search_String}"|"${Replace_String}"|g'  >  $work/${work_1}/${CSV_File}

That means all the occurences of 100 will have to be replaced by 151. The value of Replace_String will be incrementing 1 in loop. If i hardcode the value, the function works. If I pass it through variable Search_String and Replace_String, the find and replace it not happening. Can anyone help me to fix the issue?

Regards,
KM

---------- Post updated at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:21 AM ----------

I got it.

If we use " (double quotes) instead of ' (single quotes), it will work.

cat ${work}/temp_${CSV_File} | sed "s|${Search_String}|${Replace_String}|g" > $work/${work_1}/${CSV_File}

Last edited by bartus11; 03-19-2015 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Fixed [code] tags.
# 2  
Old 03-19-2015
You dont need cat here. Also, use double quotes:
Code:
Search_String=100
Replace_String=151
sed "s|${Search_String}|${Replace_String}|g" ${work}/temp_${CSV_File} > $work/${work_1}/${CSV_File}

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:
# 3  
Old 03-20-2015
Thank you bartus11.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace?

Hi All, I have data like below 1 CREATE TABLE temp123 2 ( 3 col1 INTEGER, 4 col2 CHAR(3) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC, 5 col3 DECIMAL(19,0), 6 col4 VARCHAR(80) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC, 7 start_dt DAte FORMAT 'YY/MM/DD', 8 end_dt DATE FORMAT 'YY/MM/DD', 9 datecol1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace

i am having a file test1.txt and its contents is as follows. <abcaaa bbb ccc ddd> <dddeeeffff> <my computer> <abcmydocuments> Now I need to find the text abc and should be replaced as follows. <abc> <dddeeeffff> <my computer> <abc> First line has the text "abc" and it has to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/Replace

I have the following requirement in the shell script 1. I have more than 200 shell script files. I need to find out how many shell scripts have "sqlplus /" in the shell file 2. I need to replace all the shell scripts in the single command for example: connect scott/scott replace as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmsuper
6 Replies

4. Solaris

find/replace?

Dear All To find a file, according to you, I tried as: #find / -name file-name -print To find a string inside the files , I tried as : #find / -name "*" |xargs grep "string" Can you please let me know how can I try for find/replace (i.e. finding the intended string inside the text files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Replace

Need to convert echo "7 6" to $7,$6 But the count of numbers can increase say echo "7,6,8,9" tried this didn't work echo "7 6" | sed 's/\(*\)/\1/' But did not help much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and replace

I am looking to find and replace a string in a file, can anyone suggest a global find and replace. looked at previous replies on other queries but none seem to address what i am looking for. aint familiar with sed so trying to use ordinary unix commands if possible Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SummitElse
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace

hi, i have a data in a file like below: 100 8388kmn844., 8488 200 8398kmn894., 8398 i want replace from kmn to . as null. output should be 100 8388, 8488 200 8398, 8398 Plz help. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javeed7
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace

Hi, There are some "n" files in a directory which contains comman string.A command to find and replace the string in all the files without looping. like if i am in a directory : # find ./ -name ".txt" | xargs sed -e 's/test/tst' Upto here is performed correctly and i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakshit
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please help with find and replace:

Hi I am trying to find a product code hightlighted in red, and re-insert it at another place on the same file. I shall be grateful if anyone can help me with this. Stuck and have deadline!!:confused: Original Line: (I can get source data in one of these two formats) ISD=977155185403901+DIE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gloovy_tb
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and replace

I have statement like this column_id.columnname=="value" in unix i want to modify above statement to variable1=="value" that means i have to replace the string before "==" by string "variable1" second catch is, in statement instead of "==" you can have any arithmatic comarision... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question