Builtin alternatives for several commands?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Builtin alternatives for several commands?
# 1  
Old 05-29-2015
Builtin alternatives for several commands?

I'm adapting a BASH script to run with an absolute minimal amounts of Cygwin64 files so colleagues using Windows can use it without installing Cygwin.
I am down to the following in /bin only (replacing cut with parameter substitution eliminated all needed things in /etc)
Code:
bash.exe
cygattr-1.dll
cygiconv-2.dll
cygintl-8.dll
cygncursesw-10.dll
cygreadline7.dll
cygwin1.dll
cygwin-console-helper.exe (mintty misbehaves without this)
find.exe (using a wildcard, directory type, recursion, and file attribute output so replacement unlikely): $( find "$dataDir" -type d -name '*.aps' -printf '%T@|%p\n' -prune | sort -nr )
ls.exe (expanding * and suppressing whitespace with OFS=$'\n'): $(ls -dr "${apsFolder[$apsIn]}""/Run"*)
mintty.exe (used to support ANSI bold, underline, etc.)
mv.exe (I think I can replace this with a > and then rm): mv "${runFolder[$runIn]}" "${apsFolder[$apsIn]}""/Run""$padded"" - ""$newName"
rename.exe (using * wildcard): rename "$runName" "$newName" "$excelFolder""/"*".csv"
rm.exe: rm "${runFolder[$runIn]}""/comm" &>/dev/null
sed.exe (already planning on replacing with ${var/Pattern/Replacement})
sort.exe: $( find "$dataDir" -type d -name '*.aps' -printf '%T@|%p\n' -prune | sort -nr )
stat.exe: dateStamp=$(stat -c '%y' "$i") (keep in mind these are windows files either on the users hard drive or a windows share)

Any low handing fruit? No need to write the code for me just point me in the right direction.

Mike

---------- Post updated at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:44 PM ----------

Update: looks like find is (sometimes?) needing something in /etc as well (cant be all the time or I could not have been able to test cut). Any trick to find out what other than trial and error (what I used so far)?

Mike

Last edited by Michael Stora; 05-29-2015 at 08:43 PM..
# 2  
Old 05-29-2015
Instead of mollycoddling Windows folks into using Unix-like tools, why not just teach them a bit of PowerShell?

Go native, why not?!
# 3  
Old 05-29-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Instead of mollycoddling Windows folks into using Unix-like tools, why not just teach them a bit of PowerShell?

Go native, why not?!
Because I would have to learn it first Smilie Hadoop has been next on my list for a while and my organization seems to be moving toward Python for scripting (previously an in-house extended version of VB). I'm an engineer not a programmer. They are end users who can't code at all.

Mike

Last edited by Michael Stora; 05-29-2015 at 08:42 PM..
# 4  
Old 05-29-2015
At the risk of sounding completely unhelpful, what about a web interface with some CGI?
# 5  
Old 06-22-2015
I just want to follow up that I was changing jobs in the department so I just solved a couple of these and got my mini Cygwin down to 6MB in 20 files in 3 folders--works well. profile is the only thing needed from /etc.

Mike
# 6  
Old 06-22-2015
cygwin performance is not the best, you could create wrappers to power shell or even batch files.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typeset builtin error

I'm attempting to emulate another users .zshrc file. However, I'm sort of confused on what exactly the -g argument does for the typeset builtin. Here's what he has in his .zshrc file: typeset -ga sources sources+="$ZSH_CONFIG/environment.zsh" sources+="$ZSH_CONFIG/options.zsh"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandontdr
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command alternatives

Hi is there an alternative other than the find command to get the size of files which are 10 days older ? I already use a script with find command find . -mtime +10. However would want to have an alternative script to find the size of files which are over 10 days. Let me know if you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternatives to Expect

Are there any other alternatives to using Expect script? Can functionality provided by Expect be achieved by any other scripting language? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianya
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH alternatives

Hi, I am using SSH to execute unix commands on remote machines. But, SSH will be diabled soon and I am looking for other alternatives to execute remote scripts/commands, without SSH . any suggestions or workarounds with out SSH for remote program executions ? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed -f alternatives?

I have a list of items (control file) that I want to substitute in a text file, and it's BIG. The file has two items, the original, and the new: A B B C D E The file has something like 10,000 entries. So in the oldfile.txt, I'd like to basically make all these expression matched... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: twoblink
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Builtin commands

Hi, In unix ls command is found in /bin/ls. Similarly where can I find built-in commands like read, set, unset commands. I found in some couple of websites saying found in bash tool set. In unix everything is considered as a type of file with path. Please can anyone tell me where is that Bash... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Alternatives for sudo??

I am looking for an alternative for sudo in linux, where i need not type the password. OR is there any other version of 'growisofs', which can be executed under sudo??? As currently 'growisofs' refuses to start under sudo... Thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony star
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

The builtin split function in AWK is too slow

I have a text file that contains 4 million lines, each line contains 2 fields(colon as field separator). as shown: 123:444,555,666,777,888,345 233:5444,555,666,777,888,345 623:454,585,664,773,888,345 ...... Here I have to split the second field(can be up to 40,000 fields) by comma into an... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternatives for CLOCK_MONOTONIC

Hi, I need to develop timeout functionality in my code, which is not affected by system's time changes.Unfortunately I dont have CLOCK_MONOTONIC support in my OS. Are there any alternatives? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitks21
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ASP alternatives

I have just found out that a project I have developed in ASP (ultradev) needs to be migrated to a unix server and won't be able to support asp. Can anyone point me in the right direction to see what my options are with Unix? I have never worked with or developed for a Unix box before. Also,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricki
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question