How to exit from Linux ?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to exit from Linux ?
# 1  
Old 01-21-2001
Data

I installed Linux and I using command - Halt , when I want
to quit my linux but the problem is that i get the following
message on my screen :
the system is halted

and after that i can't do anything -> only to restart
my computer by pressing on BUTTON "restart"
i mean that i can't back to MS-DOS after i leave my linux
in this way

Can i exit ( i mean leave ) from linux to MS-DOS ?? How t make it ?
# 2  
Old 01-21-2001
when you restart the computer you should get LILO Prompt. press tab key to see what command you can use at the prompt. Usually it is 'dos' & 'linux'. Type dos to start windows or type linux to start linux.

Smilie
# 3  
Old 01-21-2001
When you type <B>halt</B> the OS terminates all processes and prepares the system to shutdown the power. Normally, halt is used before a power shutdown (to add a disk, card, etc.) for any reason.

Normally, if you want to reboot and get the lilo prompt, the command is <B>shutdown -r now</B>, where "r" means reboot and "now" means now Smilie (you could say to shutdown and reboot in 5 minutes, etc., BTW, etc.)

Also, just a word of caution, before typing these commands, it is good to do a <B>sync</B> twice or so. This flushes certain information in RAM to disk, very helpful before shutdown or reboot. Most systems do this as a part of the shutdown scripts, but it is considered good practice to do this from the command line anyway. You will develop a good habit over time of typing sync;sync Smilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux shell | how to exit a script if any command fails.

Hi, i am new here let me say HI for all. now i have a question please: i am sending one command to my machine to create 3 names. if one of the names exists then the box return error message that already have the name but will continue to create the rests. How i can break the command and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiri
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux process exit

friends when I call to a procedure where DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE bd are having the procedure? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the difference between exit 1 & exit 7

Hi In one of the script I am seeing some thing like exit 7,exit 1,exit 2,exit 3,exit 9,exit6.What is the difference between all of this exit.Can anyone help here please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

LINUX - How to compare the values in 2 files & exit from the script

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to compare 2 files & if the values in the files match, it should proceed, else exit the script without proceeding further. For e.g : Scenario 1 In this case, the script should exit without proceeding further. Scenario 2 In this case, the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux:Program exit with displaying a print feature

hi All I have a scritp running which connects to a local host and then gets a value from a field and then ftp that value to antoher server. It is running fine, and from crontab it gives the output to a file, the problem is sometime it doesnt run but if i check the output file it does not show one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: imran721
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is meaning of exit(0) and exit(1)

can u tell me what is the meaning of exit(0),exit(1),exit(2) what is diff amonng these. Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

7. Programming

exit(0) versus exit(1)

What is the difference between using exit(0) and exit(1) to exit a program? Which should I use? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
9 Replies

8. Linux

How to stop linux man pages from clearing on exit?

Whenever I quit out of reading a man page, it clears the screen. I do not like this behavior, as I'd like to keep part of the man page on the screen while I type out a command. How do I stop this behavior? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

"whenever sqlerror exit 1" does not work on Linux

Hi folks, I have the following functions in my Installation script: create_roles() { export rollback=yes echo "\nCreating roles ..." >> $installLog errMsg="ERROR: Failed to create roles!\nCheck the details in ${logDir}/create_roles.log" validMsg="-> VALID: roles were created." ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question