Beginning learner

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Beginning learner
# 1  
Old 07-10-2017
Beginning learner

Hi guys,

New member here, also new student!

I'm just starting the Shell Programming, currently in chapter four in the Book in Unix, Linux, and OS X by Stephen G. Kochan & Patrick Wood (4th edition).

I'm needing a little help with other possible ways to shorten this shell command:
Code:
/[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][ \][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][ \][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]/

It's purpose is to bed used in ed with a file open with possible matches.

This question was presented as follows:

Using the Regular Expression techniques that we have discussed in class develop, test, and submit a regular expression that will identify each of the following patterns.

An American Express credit card number that fits the following format: 4 digits followed by a space followed by 6 digits followed by a space followed by 5 digits.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated!

If not, I'm happy to be a member here! Smilie

Thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags for you code and data, as requested by our forum rules, thanks

Last edited by vbe; 07-10-2017 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: code tags please even for so lttle...
# 2  
Old 07-10-2017
Thread closed, please repost in appropriate forum:

https://www.unix.com/homework-and-coursework-questions/

Following the special rules that apply there

Last edited by vbe; 07-10-2017 at 03:38 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginning less from line #

Hi from a script i want to to read a file beginning at line e.g. number 21 to the EOF. less +n21 temp.txt Bevor the result, it brings an empty page, so that i cant use for scripting. Any idea how the problem can be solved? Thanks in advance! IMPe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

2. AIX

Learner FTP help

Hello All, Real Newbie to AIX I need to automate an FTP server to Server. Want to push the files from an AIX server to an OSX server. What would be the best command in AIX to do this? Need help copying contents of \UVdata to 172.16.12.2\ERAbackup\1 Or Alternatively would it be better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Joelly
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

learner Shell

a task given to me is to make a shell which will have the following qualities.... "The most rudimentary shell is structured as the following loop: 1. Print out a prompt (e.g., "OS_Spring2011_Shell$ "); 2. Read a line from the user; 3. Parse the line into the program name and an array of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamidnasir
2 Replies

4. Programming

Beginning C++

I want to learn C++ ! :) I have basic programming knowledge with python and perl. Does anyone know of any great beginner tutorials for C++? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

i am new learner from shell scripting.. any one help me.

hi every body, i am ramesh. i want write about this shell program (" i have 94 server's like aix, solaris, linux, hp-ux, and sco unix-") how to get mail's from these server's? (i have personal linux system)- i want to run this program in my personal linux system continuously. i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameshreddy.ema
4 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Thread closed when learner has tried

I'm not so sure that this thread should have been closed. Though it was clearly homework the student was asking a specific question related to the assignment, but not the answer to the whole assignment. /www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/107494-how-get-rid.html . IMHO The solution is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: methyl
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the very beginning

Actually, I had my first problem before even BEGINNING using my FreeBSD. The installation guide said I should run the rawrite tool and should do something like A> rawrite if i put the the file I want to image-copy and the rawrite.exe in the same directory somewhere. OK done that. Next it asks... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudrack
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

beginning unix

i am fairly new to unix, and i would want a very simple, small command-line operating system to learn as much as possible. are there any good ones? i have a fairly old laptop w/ about 700 MB, running windows 95. i would like to partition it, anyone know how to do that? any help is very much... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: henroid815
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Apache: In the beginning...

:D Hello Everyone, This is my first post on this forum, and I a already like it :-) As you can tell I am a complete newbie to Apache. My mission is to setup a web server on my Suse Linux 8.1 box, initially for test purposes, and then if my ISP provider permits, then to allow other poeple... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am a fresh learner of unix,and hope for some help here.

Who could tell me how to learn unix fastly? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question