Solaris +vi (not vim) not using xterm termcap entry

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris +vi (not vim) not using xterm termcap entry
# 8  
Old 02-14-2012
Not on this system. It is on the other systems where it works though. Maybe it's what's missing on these specific systems.

Carl

---------- Post updated at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus11
OK, try this:
Code:
stty cols 190
stty rows 72

Then run vi.
Well that worked so that's good however I don't want to have to do this every time I log into the system since my screen size may not be the same on whichever box I'm accessing this system through. It is something to remember though, thanks.

Carl

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to give sudo entry in .profile file in Solaris?

Hi all, In Solaris , What entry should I add in my .profile file in home directory so that every time I don't have to give Sudo's full path like /usr/local/bin/sudo as well as /usr/sbin/ping and it will be Great help if you could tell me how to know what should be added. Please Advice.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris, vi (not vim), key bindings

hi, i am facing a problem that (i think) many people had before. under linux i use vim and therefor i am used to be able to use the cursor, delete and backspace keys in edit mode. that's not the case in the classic vi, e.g. under solaris. when hitting these keys, uninteded char sequences are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex.blackbit
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

vim in solaris 10

Hi I tried to install vim7.2 in solaris 10 x86 , installation completed but not able to get vim to be use. dependency binary: gtk+ , glib & ncurses install dependency binary package and then install vim7.2. #pkgadd -d vim-7.2-sol10-x86-local $ pkginfo SMCvim application SMCvim vim ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangbong
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Scigraphica-termcap installation

Hi all, I am trying to install Scigraphica on Ubuntu 8.10 and Termcap needs to be installed. I cannot find or install Termcap by Synaptic package manager (sudo apt-get install does not work either). I found in some forums that Termcap is not available for Ubuntu 8.10, and ncurses-dev was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apprentice
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Xterm problem on Solaris 10

I apologize but didn't find an answer in the Discussions. I use an Exceed xterm just fine with Solaris 8 but it fails to connect to Solaris 10 server: Xterm command line: DISPLAY=@d;export DISPLAY;/usr/openwin/bin/xterm Failure message: "Unable to connect to host using specified start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusejj
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 in vmware : vim hangs

Hello, I downloaded the vmware image of Solaris 10 Update 3 from the Sun site. I have a problem with vim when I edit a file while being connected through SSH to my vm: When I try to edit whatever file with vim, it freezes just after I've hit enter. vim works correctly when I run it in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tex-Twil
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no entry in termcap for 'hp'

Hello, I have one application (top) for Solaris that exits with error "no entry in termcap for 'hp'". What can I do with system to fix it? Is it access problem to termcap file or real corruption inside the file since I know that HP is defined in termcap? ... or changes to environment... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Termcap

Hi all! What is the TERMCAP variable? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aitor314
1 Replies

10. Linux

Termcap Definitions

Hi. How do I enter and escape from graphics mode on RedHat Linux to capture escape sequences. I'm trying to edit the system termcap. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
VIMTUTOR(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)