Solaris 10 - ufsdump hangs

Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 - ufsdump hangs
# 1  
Old 09-28-2014
Solaris 10 - ufsdump hangs

Anyone ever see an issue where ufsdump 'hangs' after the IV Pass?
Normally, it will update with an estimate of how long it will take to complete...and update the info every 20 minutes.

I'm running the following command:

root# ufsdump 0f - /fsmount | ( cd /zfs/newfsmount ) ; ufsrestore rf - )

(we are moving from UFS to ZFS - on Solaris 10!)

I've got 2 UFS file systems that just won't work with ufsdump. I've run fsck with no issues found, ran the ufsdump while mounted (apps and database down), ran it while it was mounted read-only (with apps and database down), ran it while file system was unmounted (with apps and database down). Nothing works.

Yet I'm using ufsdump on more than 10 other UFS file systems with no issue.

No error messages from ufsdump, nothing in messages file...

DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat Sept 27 14:16:16 2014
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c14t600015D000236B00000340200111052Cd0s2 (server004:/fsmount) to standard output.
DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]
DUMP: Writing 32 Kilobyte records
DUMP: Estimated 441443448 blocks (215548.56 MB).
DUMP: Dumping (Pass III) [directories]
DUMP: Dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
(this is where it should update with how long it will take...but I get nothing...left it running for 12 hours and still nothing)

If I control-C the dump, it ask if I want to abort...last night was the first time I said no. It finally started showing/updating the status...
DUMP: 0.12% done, finished in 19962:24

It continued showing updates until completed - but it never copied one file! It did create some of the directories on the new disk (13 of the 99 top directories)
and a total of 382 directories, but NO data, ascii, text, non-directory files.

Solaris 10 1/3 - generic 147147-26

One of them I finally ran tar against to get the copy completed - with no issues.
The last one I'll have to do the same but it will take a whole weekend to complete. FS is only 504G (where I've had 2TB FS convert with ufsdump with no issues). Plenty of free space, plenty of free memory, no issues with inodes on old UFS FS, new ZFS pool has enough space....

Hopefully someone has seen this before and knows what it is...thanks!

Last edited by RTM; 09-28-2014 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: added info
# 2  
Old 09-29-2014
So you're running ufsdump without fssnap to snapshot first?

Perhaps it's coming across what it thinks are open/locked files.

You should run fssnap first and then dump the special (static) device fssnap gives you.

Also, remember to delete the snapshot (again using fssnap) once the ufsdump has completed.

Failing that I'd be tempted to fully check the filesystem with

# fsck -o full

option. It will take a long time but will check everything on the filesystem. Of course, yes, it might be quicker to resort to tar but will that give you a faithfull restore of the filesystem?

Search this forum for threads about ufsdump AND fssnap. I've written about all this before on this forum.

Last edited by hicksd8; 09-30-2014 at 12:22 PM..
# 3  
Old 09-29-2014
What does "iostat -E" show?

What's in /var/adm/messages?

What does a pstack of the running ufsdump process show?

What does running ufsdump under "truss -f -a -vall -o /path/to/output/file ..." show?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris hangs (Firefox)

dear members, i am a newbie to solaris 11.3, and deeply impressed. On my test pc (Lenovo M90), however, using the internet hangs the system from time to time; initializing the connecting (WLAN) during installation (via the live cd) took two attempts as well. Maybe someone has a solution... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardLichten
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Ufsdump Solaris 11

Hello, i have a solaris 11 sparc64 and Im trying to do a backup to tape. This is the display: # ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cbn /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: February 27, 2013 01:58:23 PM CET DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferch13
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 - hangs during boot

Power server up runs through diagnostics. Goes to the boot section and then the bit where the cursor is spinning and thats it. Hangs completely. Any ideas? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
10 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris ssh client hangs when connecting to another Solaris machine

Got a strange problem. I have 4 Solaris servers all configured the same, Solaris 10 x86 update 10. When I try to ssh from one Solaris 10 server to another server ssh hangs. I have an identical server and when I try this everything works fine. The weird thing is if I am root on the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

ufsdump from Solaris to ubuntu fails with bad file descriptor

Hi All I have a dedicated backup server running ubuntu 10.04, which has recently been rebuilt (same OS, just different h/w) This is used to receive ufsdump output from a number of Solaris servers, using the following syntax: ufsdump 1uf :/path/to/backup/file /fs/to/be/backed/up This has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: in2deep
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 system hangs

Solaris 10 (Sun V210) System hangs every couple of months. Have to go into ALOM to reset. I did a consolehistory report and seen this in it. Failed to exec inetd_start method of instance svc:/network/bootps/udp:default: I/O error WARNING: /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2 (glm0): Resetting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joeentech
3 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris hangs after booting

Hi, We've got a Sun Fire V245 that's failing to boot from either boot disk (mirrored using SVM). It simply hangs after loading a few modules: Sun Fire V245, No Keyboard Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. OpenBoot 4.22.22, 1024 MB memory installed, Serial... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Cluster Install Hangs

Greetings Forumers! I tried installing Solaris Cluster 3.3 today. I should say I tried configuring the Cluster today. The software is already installed on two systems. I am trying to configure a shared filesystem between two 6320 Blades. I selected the "Custom" install because the "Typical"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Boot hangs up on solaris

Hi all, I have a SUN server Sun-Fire-V890 running solaris 9, with a remote system console . Both the IP adresses of the server and the console are in a private network (address 10.67.xxx). For some reasons I need to give the access to the server from outside address 194.xxx, but I prefer that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need URGENT HELP---ufsdump-- Solaris 9

/dev/md/dsk/d0 20174761 1778528 18194486 9% / /dev/md/dsk/d30 17648810 1592139 15880183 10% /usr /proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab fd 0 0 0 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question