2.6TB filesystem to be copied or moved to another FS ?

Operating Systems AIX 2.6TB filesystem to be copied or moved to another FS ?
# 8  
Old 12-20-2010
Well, if you can afford it - you may standup a standby (Oracle-Standby) database and decide a date and shutdown the real DB and convert the new database as the production. If you plan it well, you might be done with an Hour downtime. In the worst case, backout is to shutdown the new database and startup the old. ( 5 mins ? ). I am sure change management is going to like this one. Very similar to the hot backup solution someone posted.

If all you want is to move to new disks, the storage vendor might have some utilities as well. BCV for local copies and SRDF for copy across arrays in the EMC world. (I assumed you have SAN storage)
# 9  
Old 12-22-2010
okay, cplv has failed

1) I had a filesystem with 200G allocation with actual Data of 100.6 GB
so I created another filesystem with 245 GB and tried to copy with cplv command and i got a message to use chlv with -t parameter ; so i didn't understand why i should change the type when they are both same type of filesystem JFS2 ?

so, i skipped and went to another option , cplv to user-create logical volume ( that is the system will create the logical volume by itself )

2) cplv to user-create logical volume is taking more than 1.1 hour and still the copy was not finished and I had to cancel/abort the operation because users needed the filesystem to copy 100.6 GB (total filesystem size 200GB) Logical Volume to another logical volume is taking more than 1.1 hours
any suggestions ?

some suggested copying files and directories but Oracle team is avoiding this approach.
# 10  
Old 12-25-2010
mirrorlv for the above example : filesystem of 200G allocation with actual Data of 100.6 GB takes around 3.5 hours.

Note: the filesystem / logical / volume group is from SAN Storage connected by one 4 GB fiber.

so we are here copying a filesystem/logical volume from SAN Storage to SAN Storage.

So, if 200G logical volume takes 3.5 hours with mirrorlv imagine 2.6TB ?
around 40 hours or so ?

next I will try to cp as zxmaus or as bakunin said, will backup and restore.
# 11  
Old 12-26-2010
Folks, there is a small problem. After using cplv and log was created and initialized and a new filesystem ( new name for filesystem) was mounted on that Logical Volume. But after mounting it, I didn't see any data !

but lsvg volume_group shows PPs are in use.

any clue as to what might be the issue ?
# 12  
Old 12-26-2010
do you have a new mountpoint or the same - maybe it is just overmounted with something else

BTW - if you only want to move to new SAN - but not necessarily to a new volumegroup - why dont you just add the new disks to the existing VG and do a migratepv olddisk newdisk(s) and drop the old empty disks afterwards from the VG. This is for sure not the fastest but the easiest way as it doesnt need ANY downtime whatsoever.

Regards
zxmaus
# 13  
Old 12-26-2010
It is a new mount point..

Okay here is what happened:

1. Created a new VG ==> oraclevg6
2. cplv logical volume from oldvg to newvg ( and the system created lv called fslv06 )
3. after the cplv was over lsvg -l oraclevg6 ==> showed that there is a log logical volume called loglv01
4. create a filesystem with a new name and not the existing one for the copied logical_volume call it /u06
5. mount /u06 on fslv06
6. doesn't work...umount /u06
7. logform /dev/loglv01
8. mount /u06

still no data present.

==========
Quote:
BTW - if you only want to move to new SAN - but not necessarily to a new volumegroup - why dont you just add the new disks to the existing VG and do a migratepv olddisk newdisk(s) and drop the old empty disks afterwards from the VG. This is for sure not the fastest but the easiest way as it doesnt need ANY downtime whatsoever.
No, it cannot be done for various administrative reasons.
1. the array is different and new san is different
2. Database team want to have the new disks totally seperate.
3. the above experiment was with 200GB and it took 3.5 - 4 hours....what about 2.6TB...... ? and if something goes wrong then the company application might need a total restore.
too risky !
# 14  
Old 12-27-2010
cplv

I think the problem may be the new filesystem on the copied lv.
Here's what I did on a test filesystem and it worked fine:

1. Created new lv
Code:
# mklv -y lvcorenew -t jfs2 data2vg 32

2. changed new lv to be type 'copy'
Code:
# chlv -t copy lvcorenew

3. Ran cplv
Code:
# cplv -e lvcorenew -f lvcore

4. Created new jfs2log for the new lv
Code:
# mklv -y corelog -t jfs2log data2vg 1

5. Formated the new jfs2log
Code:
# logform /dev/corelog

6. Modified the existing filesystem to use the newly copied lv
Code:
# chfs -a dev=/dev/lvcorenew -a log=/dev/corelog /usr/local/corefiles

7. Mounted fs
Code:
# mount /usr/local/corefiles

8. Check filesystem
Code:
# ls /usr/local/corefiles

This User Gave Thanks to homeyjoe For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sudo scp -r – can't get everything copied though

I want to copy a folder and all its contents of ~700GB from a computer to another. I've tried sudo scp -r directory/ admin@host:directory but the result is that the copied folder is about 2GBs smaller than the original. I checked the shell for errors and found some "file doesn't exist" errors.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJH
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Check copied file

Hi all, If i wanted to copy file within different folders or different servers, how do i determine the copied file is absolutely correct :confused: Is it using cmp and chksum command enough? Anyway that i can make further checking? Thanks in advance for reading & anyone who reply the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question