max/ideal value of items in limits.conf in rhel5?

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat max/ideal value of items in limits.conf in rhel5?
# 1  
Old 01-01-2011
max/ideal value of items in limits.conf in rhel5?

i want to set limits in /etc/security/limits.conf.My os is rhel 5.2.
It was giving continuous messages in in /var/log/secure like :

Quote:
Jan 1 09:46:43 yn55 sshd[31742]: pam_limits(sshd:session): wrong limit value 'unlimited' for limit type 'soft'
Jan 1 09:46:43 yn55 sshd[31742]: pam_limits(sshd:session): wrong limit value 'unlimited' for limit type 'hard'
continuously.

I have changed values of priority and nice to "0" from unlimited and messages are not comming. But i want to know what is the ideal/maximum value of these two items? Is 0 value set is correct? To what should i set it to? I want it to be maximum.

Code:
*       soft            core            unlimited 
*       hard            core            unlimited 
*       soft            data            unlimited
*       hard            data            unlimited
*       soft            fsize           unlimited
*       hard            fsize           unlimited
*       soft            memlock         -1 
*       hard            memlock         -1 
*       soft            nofile          20000
*       hard            nofile          20000
*       soft            rss             unlimited
*       hard            rss             unlimited
*       soft            stack           unlimited
*       hard            stack           unlimited
*       soft            cpu             unlimited
*       hard            cpu             unlimited
*       soft            nproc           unlimited
*       hard            nproc           unlimited
*       soft            as              unlimited
*       hard            as              unlimited
*       soft            maxlogins       unlimited
*       hard            maxlogins       unlimited
*       soft            maxsyslogins    unlimited
*       hard            maxsyslogins    unlimited
*       soft            priority        0
*       hard            priority        0
*       soft            locks           unlimited
*       hard            locks           unlimited
*       soft            sigpending      unlimited
*       hard            sigpending      unlimited
*       soft            msgqueue        unlimited
*       hard            msgqueue        unlimited
*       soft            nice            0
*       hard            nice            0
*       soft            rtprio          unlimited
*       hard            rtprio          unlimited

# 2  
Old 01-01-2011
MySQL

Have a look at man limit.conf
# 3  
Old 01-01-2011
Reference: LIMITS.CONF(5)

Quote:
core
limits the core file size (KB)

data
maximum data size (KB)

fsize
maximum filesize (KB)

memlock
maximum locked-in-memory address space (KB)

nofile
maximum number of open files

rss
maximum resident set size (KB) (Ignored in Linux 2.4.30 and higher)

stack
maximum stack size (KB)

cpu
maximum CPU time (minutes)

nproc
maximum number of processes

as
address space limit (KB)

maxlogins
maximum number of logins for this user except for this with uid=0

maxsyslogins
maximum number of logins on system

priority
the priority to run user process with (negative values boost process priority)

locks
maximum locked files (Linux 2.4 and higher)

sigpending
maximum number of pending signals (Linux 2.6 and higher)

msqqueue
maximum memory used by POSIX message queues (bytes) (Linux
2.6 and higher)

nice
maximum nice priority allowed to raise to (Linux 2.6.12 and higher) values: [-20,19]

rtprio
maximum realtime priority allowed for non-privileged processes (Linux 2.6.12 and higher)

chroot
the directory to chroot the user to
---------- Post updated at 05:51 ---------- Previous update was at 05:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazydog
Have a look at man limit.conf
Posting a reply that simply directs the original poster to a man page is discouraged here. Simple stated, don't do it without adding additional value. We don't permit RT*M type of replies here in The UNIX and Linux Forums. Thanks for supporting the spirit of the forums.

In addition, when providing links to man pages, use our forum's internal man pages, as in the example above.
# 4  
Old 01-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Posting a reply that simply directs the original poster to a man page is discouraged here. Simple stated, don't do it without adding additional value. We don't permit RT*M type of replies here in The UNIX and Linux Forums. Thanks for supporting the spirit of the forums.

In addition, when providing links to man pages, use our forum's internal man pages, as in the example above.
As the MAN page for this topic seems to be self explanatory I see no reason to add anything more to the post other then direct him to the MAN pages on his system. There was never a link to any other page on another website. This is System Administrator 101. If the OP stated that he read the man page but still doesn't understand what to do then it would have been a different story altogether and an explanation would have been in order.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft and hard limits for nproc value in /etc/security/limits.conf file (Linux )

OS version : RHEL 6.5 Below is an excerpt from /etc/security/limits.conf file for OS User named appusr in our server appusr soft nproc 2047 appusr hard nproc 16384 What will happen if appusr has already spawned 2047 processes and wants to spawn 2048th process ? I just want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

2. Linux

Determining Values for NIce and Priority items in limits.conf file

I've been looking online trying to find the correct value nice and priority can take in the limits.conf file. ON the man page it says; Does this mean priority can be any negative number and any positive? Then Does this mean any number between -20 and 19 also what does the definition of nice... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
13 Replies

3. Linux

/etc/security/limits.conf NIS netgroup support

Hi there, I am trying to set a ulimit max in the /etc/security/limits.conf against a NIS netgroup (which contains a whole bunch of users) instead of a local user or group. so I have a NIS netgroup called +@myusers , none of whose users are defined locally on the box. I want to ensure that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Modifying limits.conf & pam.d

Hello all, I'm running Oracle 10.2 on RHEL5. Current value of ulimit -n is set to a low value of 1024. I need to increase it to 65536 using the following procedure. cat >> /etc/security/limits.conf <<EOF oracle soft nproc 2047 oracle hard nproc 16384 oracle soft nofile 1024 oracle hard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk between items including items

OS=HP-UX ksh The following works, except I want to include the <start> and <end> in the output. awk -F '<start>' 'BEGIN{RS="<end>"; OFS="\n"; ORS=""} {print $2} somefile.log' The following work in bash but not in ksh sed -n '/^<start>/,/^<end>/{/LABEL$/!p}' somefile.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris counterpart of /etc/security/limits.conf

Hi, How can we set per user core file size, etc in solaris, i.e. I want solaris counterpart/equivalent of linux /etc/security/limits.conf. TIA (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/security/limits.conf

HI, To restrict the number of files and number of processes used the user we use the following configuration in the file /etc/security/limits.conf. oracle soft nofile 65572 oracle hard nofile 65572 oracle soft noproc 16384 oracle soft noproc 16384 My question is what do the 'soft' and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limits.conf

I have line in this file that says: username - maxlogins 1 and user can login 2 times instad of one. does enybody know why? and how can I fix that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shooroop
2 Replies

9. Linux

limits.conf

Hello! How do make the limits.conf parameters work for a normal user. Ive changed both the hard and soft parameter for the specific user. It used to be 4096 and i changed it to 16384. But when i use the ulimit -n, all i got is permissen denied. Witch i can understand. But my question is? how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question