CUPS - Does a Submitted Print file live somehwere?

Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers CUPS - Does a Submitted Print file live somehwere?
# 1  
Old 04-10-2019
CUPS - Does a Submitted Print file live somehwere?

Hello All,

When using CUPs. Does the file that gets printed live in some temp directory somewhere?

For example, if a user submits a PDF file to be printed, does a cached copy of that PDF file live somewhere on the Server in a temporary directory, at least until its printed?
Code:
# lpq -P printer15
printer15 is not ready
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                Total Size
1st     applpro 11261   myfile123.PDF    2048 bytes
2nd     applpro 11307   myfile1456.PDF    2048 bytes
3rd     applpro 11313   myfile12345.PDF    11264 bytes
4th     applpro 11322   myfile16789.PDF    2048 bytes

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

--- Post updated at 03:11 PM ---

Correct me if this is wrong. But, I think I may have just discovered the answer...

The following link describes CUPs Design: CUPS Design Description

In there it states print job files are stored in /var/spool/cups. Each print job has one control file, i.e. "c<job-num>", and 0 or more data files, i.e. "d<job-num>-001".

And it looks like the d* file is the actual cached file of the printed document.

-Matt
This User Gave Thanks to mrm5102 For This Post:
# 2  
Old 04-10-2019
Congratulations. You found a good reference. That is the way it works.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

CUPS file modified causing trouble

I have modified the CUPS file - (deleted the Pause Printer part ) and now I cannot access anything under localhost:631, or printer settings through System preferences. They just keep freezing and there is no way I can get back to edit the config file. Any suggestions? thank you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ladybird
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Restarting CUPS will restart existing print queues?

Hi, We need to restart CUPS service, and want to know if restarting CUPS service will stop/start existing printing queues? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

CUPS print issue

Hi all, unable to print from linux box. Earlier it used to work fine. The print job is sitting in the queue and not going to printer. Removed queue job and tried again but no luck. Tried "cupsenable" but ended up with no success. I tried to print two text files as "root" with "lp " command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete the submitted at command

Hi I have submitted an at command to run next week . Now i want to remove the submitted at command . I dont want the job to run . Can anyone help me , with the command to remove the submitted at command . thanks in advance ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
3 Replies

5. SCO

Printing as a CUPS client, only root can print!

Hi, i'm running Openserver 5.0.7 as a CUPS client for a Linux server. The root user can issue a "lpstat -t" to see the printers and can submit jobs without issues. The problem presents when I try to work as a regular user. If I issue an "lpstat -t" all I get after a few seconds is "lpstat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyruspy
1 Replies

6. Linux

holding print jobs in CUPS

Hi all. I have a problem with some printers that when I print a lot of jobs at once the printers gets stuck after 2 prints... (It's a barcode printers - DATAMAX). Whenever I'm printing each job separtly with a delay of a few seconds the printers work fine... So my question is how can I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple FTP scripts submitted to a subprocess

Why does running 5 FTP scripts sequentially take longer to run (16 seconds) than when all 5 are submitted to a subprocess and run simultaneously (7 seconds)? I would think there would be some I/O contention. There are about 10 files to be FTP'd in each script. Although each script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomstone_98
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cups print server

I have just installed cup printing software on solaris 8 and i am able to print successfully from the print server but unable to print from any of the print client in my local network subnet. i have enable browsing so that cups printer server could broadcaste itself to client. but still unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hassan2
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question