Number of html files

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Number of html files
# 1  
Old 05-17-2002
Number of html files

Hello to all!
I'm really new of this, i don't know unix so i have to ask a stupid question for you but important for me.
I need to know how many files .html there are on a unix server on a specified folder (and of course on their subfolders).
The same command in DOS is dir *.html /s.
Can you help me?
Thanks,

Giuseppe
# 2  
Old 05-17-2002
"cd" to the "folder" (directory) in which the
files are located.

do...

ls -l *.html | wc -l

...this will return the count of the number of .html files
in the current directory
# 3  
Old 05-17-2002
really thanks!
But tell me one more things, it's possible to have also a number of all html files contained in all the subfolders?
Thanks

Giuseppe
# 4  
Old 05-17-2002
A quick way to just get a count would be...

cd to the top level directory...

do...

ls -lR | grep .html | wc -l
# 5  
Old 05-17-2002
Bug

i will try it monday, but REALLY REALLY THANKS for all!!!!!!! Smilie Smilie
# 6  
Old 05-20-2002
It works great!!
Really thanks!!

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with number to select based on number

Hi experts, I am using KSH and I am need to display file with number in front of file names and user can select it by entering the number. I am trying to use following command to display list with numbers. but I do not know how to capture number and identify what file it is to be used for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysocks
5 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

How to join several HTML files?

Hello I need to merge several HTML files into one and possibly convert it to ".rtf" All files are in the same folder. The files contain Links I need to keep Any hints? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Etnad
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count in html files

Hi does somebody know how to do a word count in a .html file? Just the text words, without all the html code. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove urls from html files

Does anybody know how to remove all urls from html files? all urls are links with anchor texts in the form of <a href="http://www.anydomain.com">ANCHOR</a> they may start with www or not. Goal is to delete all urls and keep the ANCHOR text and if possible to change tags around anchor to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
2 Replies

6. Web Development

Concat of two html files

By launching two SQL scripts I get two html files report_1.html and report_2.html with different background and text colors (white/blue for the former and silver/black for the latter) but if I try to concat the two html by using the CAT function on UNIX Server where Oracle is installed (cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark1970
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed of big html files

hi friends, i have to cut a large html file between tag " <!-- DEFACEMENTS ROWS -->" "<!-- DISCLAIMER FOOTER -->" and store cut data in other file please help me!!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshbmishra
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compress html files

Hello, On a Centos 5.0 server, Apache 2.2 delivers static html page. How could I compress those html pages to gain speed and save bandwidth? is there a utility that would be effective and save? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to use lp to print html files ?

If I try using lp to print html files (being generated by our application) to a regular print queue all it prints is the code. How can I print the generated html as the user would see in a browser using lp ? TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KingOfHearts
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using MIME to send html files

:confused: I am a programmer, but need to work with UNIX in this particular situation. I am used to the plain "mail -s" command and also familiar with how to send attachments in html... but I now need to send an email (not an attachment) in html format so I can embed links... etc. I am told... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgardiner
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question