Login takes 44secs to 50secs

Operating Systems Solaris Login takes 44secs to 50secs
# 1  
Old 09-28-2011
Login takes 44secs to 50secs

Hi,

Anyone can help me, I have 10 servers all was Solaris 10 installed. The 9 servers was so fast ounce you login.

But only 1 server will take 44secs to 55secs to login. I check all the hardware side it was ok. I'm using ssh, putty, ftp and telnet to login.

Can you please me for any work around to find what happenings on the said server.

Thanks in Advance,
FSP
# 2  
Old 09-28-2011
Check DNS resolution / pam.conf / login authentication. what you are seeing is the server timing out trying to either authenticate the user id, or trying to mount the users home directory, or something user related.

If you can logging in as root, then I reckon its DNS/ nsswitch.conf / resolv.conf or something like that which is pointing to the wrong server. Even check /etc/defaultrouter.

SBK
# 3  
Old 09-28-2011
Hi SBK,

Here the output of the said command, what's wrong with these some of my servers look like these setting but more faster to login.
Code:
login as: myuser1   ### here will take 44secs to 55secs
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Password:

Last login: Wed Sep 28 15:49:04 2011 from 192.168.51.37
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
You have new mail.

bash-3.00$

#####################################

bash-3.00$ less /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
# Use is subject to license terms.
#
# ident "@(#)nsswitch.files     1.14    06/05/03 SMI"

#
# /etc/nsswitch.files:
#
# An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it
# does not use any naming service.
#
# "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
# /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet" transports.

passwd:     files
group:      files
hosts:      files dns
ipnodes:    files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
bootparams: files
publickey:  files
# At present there isn't a 'files' backend for netgroup;  the system will
#   figure it out pretty quickly, and won't use netgroups at all.
netgroup:   files
automount:  files
aliases:    files
services:   files
printers:       user files

auth_attr:  files
prof_attr:  files
project:    files

tnrhtp:     files
tnrhdb:     files
bash-3.00$

bash-3.00$ less /etc/resolv.conf
domain  macau.com
nameserver 202.111.6.38
nameserver 202.111.6.48

bash-3.00$ less /etc/defaultrouter

Regards,
FSP

Last edited by Scott; 09-28-2011 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please.
# 4  
Old 09-28-2011
Quote:
These was the results on my commands;

login as: myuser1 ### here will take 44secs to 55secs
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Password:
Do you mean it is very slow to bring up the login prompt, or is it slow when doing the username authentication?
# 5  
Old 09-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyk
Do you mean it is very slow to bring up the login prompt, or is it slow when doing the username authentication?
Hi Tommy,

"slow when doing the username authentication"

When I hit the enter key on Login as : myuser1

Regards,
Ferdie

Last edited by fspalero; 09-28-2011 at 06:28 AM..
# 6  
Old 09-28-2011
when you log in, can you run some diagnostic commands and compare to your other boxes if its busy or if there are any processes running on it.

do a "top" command and compare CPU idle and free memory and used memory

maybe run a ps -ef and see all your running processes.

this isn't a problem resolving the hostname its a problem with the server itself, usually this slowness is caused by the machine taking a long time to respond because its busy.

If its not busy, try creating a new user and logging in with that does it take a long time also? it could be your .profile and .bashrc in your home directory. or could be /etc/profile or /etc/bashrc trying to execute a lot of commands which take a while.

Do all these files match between your servers or is there any differences in command execution?
# 7  
Old 09-28-2011
do you log in as root ?? or just a normal user ??

If you log in as root, is the login process slow, i.e. the time it takes to come back and ask you for your password, or after the password, to then see you prompt ? Then your system is running slow, so need to do the top / vmstat / ps stuff to find out why.

If it isnt slow when logging via root, and only when you log in via a normal user then its something userid / home dir issue. Do your users auto mount thier home directory ? Do you have some 3rd party authentication s/w like VAS ? This is why I asked you to check your local DNS / pam.conf settings.

Does this normal user have some commands it runs via the .profile ?? i.e. does it fire off something the moment you log in ?? So, check the .profile / .cshrc or whatever shell you are using.

So, do two tests, login as root, see what happens. Log in as a normal user, and see what happens.

SBK
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to takes the missing files?

Hi all , am using unix aix I have a files in one directory.. my files as in format qqss0607.ddd.. (06 is date 07 is month) how to check the missing dates .... can anyone tell me... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to takes missing files

Hi Am using unix aix I have a group of files in File1 For ex:- Vi file1 A0405 A0605 A0805 When i tried using awk command am getting an error as No space a=`awk 'NF < 1 {next;} p && p != $1 { for( i = p; i < $1; i++ )print i; } {p = $1 + 1 }' file2` Error message:- + + awk NF <... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
7 Replies

3. Red Hat

Login to server takes time

When I am trying to login to a server using Putty ssh from my windows xp machine it is taking too much time for login. My server name is http2 and when I enter this address into putty I immediately get login as: screen, but after I put my username root and enter the cursor moves downwards... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashkrishn
14 Replies

4. Linux

it takes long time to login on server

Hi, I am trying to login using ssh on Red Hat Linux 5 server, The password appears immediately but after I enter the password it takes about 90 seconds to login completely. Please suggest what changes require? Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script takes params

i want to write a shell script that can be run as ./deployPortal.sh -version 5.1.2 -portlet -exportall how can i do that? version param is required. bu the others are optional. in first step i only want to read 5.1.2, is portlet selected ? and is exportall selected ?? can you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keromotti
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Login Process takes longer

Hello. Since Yesterday, I notice that after giving telnet IP or SSH IP - it takes long time to display login: , I mean earlier after entering Server name It used to immediately ask for login ID and then password. But, now it takes min of 2-3 minute to ask for password. Where can I check,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
12 Replies

8. News, Links, Events and Announcements

SCO takes one in the pants...

I know this may be in the wrong forum but it will be seen more often here... WOW!! Someone is really mad at SCO regarding their latest attempt to push around the free Linux world... But seems someone did the old rockem sockem to SCO!! ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question