command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver
# 1  
Old 10-20-2011
command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi,

I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ?
# 2  
Old 10-20-2011
There's no portable way to do this. You can target a particular screen locker and often times they will have an option or way to send a message to the screen locker to stop locking. Some desktop screen lockers will look for particular power mgmt profiling to determine if they should lock or not.

If you want to disable it permanently, you should be able to do this in System -> Preferences -> Screensaver. Then you could manually lock your screen when you feel it is needed.

Since you're saying RHEL 5.4, you can send the gnome-screensaver a dbus message to inhibit locking with:

Code:
dbus-send --session --dest=org.gnome.ScreenSaver --type=method_call --print-reply --reply-timeout=20000 /org/gnome/ScreenSaver org.gnome.ScreenSaver.Inhibit string:"myshell" string:"I have no reason for doing this"

That command will return an integer string (cookie)... use that to UnInhibit

Code:
dbus-send --session --dest=org.gnome.ScreenSaver --type=method_call --print-reply --reply-timeout=20000 /org/gnome/ScreenSaver org.gnome.ScreenSaver.UnInhibit uint32:<the-integer-returned-from-the-inhibit>

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Cannot eliminate screen blank, lock or saver or whatever it's called...

Hi all, I'm running CentOS 7. When the machine is left alone for a few minutes, a screen saver or blanker or something comes up with a clock and date on it. You have to swipe this to get back to the desktop. I'm trying desperately to get rid of this so that it never comes up. No matter how long... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marmotking
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Screen saver mode at work

Hi, At work, the PC Windows 7 goes to screen saver mode after 10 minutes. I don't have access to change that. It's grayed out for me. After 10 minutes, the IM will say " AWAY" and my email status will say " AWAY ". Email and IM both are from Microsoft. My question is there any work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Screen Saver for LINUX - ROOT

Good Morning. I have a question about screen savers in LINUX especially CENTOS. I don't seem to have a problem setting the screen saver with a password required for the root account(version 5.3). I'm told earlier versions you could not set it for. I was wondering if newer versions of LINUX had... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ejjones
1 Replies

4. Solaris

screen saver

I am using solaris 10 x86, i am trying to create my own sreensavers using the pictures in my folder. pls can someone tell on how to go about this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to disable the clearing of the first page when executing screen tool

Hi Guy, In order to monitor the user sessions, I have put the screen tool in the .profile in order to record the whole session. However, when the user logs in, the screen command is executed and the screen is first cleared, then the command prompt appears. so, I basically want to disable the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saad26
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Screen Saver Resolution

I am using sun solaris machine i have given the specs of that machine given below Name of athe Platform : SUNW,Ultra-5_10 Machiene hardware :sun4u Processor Type :sparc Operating system : solaris 10 Monitory TYpe : SAMSUNG Sync Master... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambavaram
2 Replies

7. Solaris

screen saver command line on solaris10-intel

Hi All, I'm on Solaris10-intel and I'm on the classic GUI, CDE. Can't find the control for screen saver. Is there's a command line equivalent? Thanks in advance, itik (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

screen saver in UNIX~~~~~~HELP NEEDED

One of my Sun Box running SUNOS 4.1.3_U1, the screen saver in turn on. if there anyway to disable the screen saver? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My screen saver for a plain session

Good day. :) I don't know exactly where or how to post this kind of stuff, but I though I'd like to have a look at my "Screen Saver" in progress. Comments welcome. This uses bash. Just copy and pase into any file. Make o+x and run. Feel free to edit and change all u like. Thanks. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blooper
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Screen saver

Can any one help me knowing how to do screen saver after certain time ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hegazy Mahdy
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question