moving files alone using mv command??

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting moving files alone using mv command??
# 1  
Old 07-22-2009
moving files alone using mv command??

Is there a way to move the files ALONE from one dir to another dir?

In my source dir,I have files as well as directories.I want to move the files alone to another dir and the directories should remain undisturbed.

If I use mv * < target dir> ,then the directories also moved.

Any suggestions
# 2  
Old 07-22-2009
try..
Code:
mv *.* <target dir>

# 3  
Old 07-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandegreat25
try..
Code:
mv *.* <target dir>

What if any file does not have a dit (.)?
or A directory name is like a.b?

Try:
Code:
for i in *
do
   [ -f $i ] && mv $i target
done

You can also do this with find using -type option.
# 4  
Old 07-22-2009
Code:
find ./* -prune -type f -exec mv {} /target/. \+

# 5  
Old 07-22-2009
mv *.< Type of files > <target Dir>

<Type of Files > = can be the text files,csv,lst, ... etc.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue while moving files using find command

Hi Friends, I'm facinf issue while moving large files using find command.I've a scenario like i've to move one day older files from one directory to anothe directory.I'm using the below command. find $src_dir -name error -prune -o -type f -mtime +1 -exec mv {} $dest_dir \; some times... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2mura
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Multiple files to destination files

I am running a code like this foreach list ($tmp) mv *_${list}.txt ${chart}_${list}.txt #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a directory mv *_${list}.doc ${chart}_${list}.doc #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue while moving files using find command

Hi All, I'm facing this below error when I move files using find command....Please help out...... $ find /home/aa/ab -mtime +90 -type f -exec mv -f {} /home/aa/ab/ac \; mv: 0653-405 /home/aa/ab/ac/MP_060520111245.csv and /home/aa/ab/ac/MP_060520111245.csv are identical. mv: 0653-405... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using mv command for moving multiple files in a folder

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to move Bunch of folders containing multiple files to another archive location. i want to use mv command .I am thinking when we use mv command to move directory does it create directory 1st and then move all the files ? e.g source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkmbcbs
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files

I wrote a script which moves files on first in first out basis. for i in `ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -10 | awk '{print $9}'` do mv $i Test/ done But donno some reason, this is not working on my Linux box. May i know the reason? Can the above script be done by using positional... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files after ls -lt command

Can you please tell me how to find a file in a directory and then if it exists i need to place it in a different folder? I have to use "ls -lt" command I mean this command is something existing one . can you please tell me how i set the directory path. Like dir1/dir2/filename.csv to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaman
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving between vi files

would any one please tell me which keys we used between opened vi files backward and forward Thanks Ayah (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aya_r
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question