How to use core file?

Top Forums Programming How to use core file?
# 8  
Old 03-31-2008
Thank you all, and thank you Lazzar, I appreciate it.

what you adviced I have tried before, it is something like this

Quote:
onyx-bridge 13% blockMesh
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
onyx-bridge 14% gdb
GNU gdb 6.6
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "mips-sgi-irix6.5".
(gdb) core core
Core was generated by `blockMesh'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
warning: wrong size gregset struct in core file
warning: wrong size gregset struct in core file
#0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)
And I dont know what do these warning and error really mean!

And another question, is there a subforum for sgi-IRIX under this forum?

Daniel
# 9  
Old 03-31-2008
maybe you could try with dbx instead gdb if it is installed.
in dbx you type 'where' instead of 'bt' to get the backtrace.

MySQL Bugs: #25344: Segmentation violation when try to run the perror utility
the above link shows a case where gdb didn't work, but dbx showed a useful backtrace on irix.
# 10  
Old 04-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazzar
maybe you could try with dbx instead gdb if it is installed.
in dbx you type 'where' instead of 'bt' to get the backtrace.

MySQL Bugs: #25344: Segmentation violation when try to run the perror utility
the above link shows a case where gdb didn't work, but dbx showed a useful backtrace on irix.
Thank you Lazzar, that helps.
With dbx I have found a little bit more information than gdb.
However, I am still very frustrated, for the dbx show me as if something wrong with a *.C file, however, there's no problem at all when I compile it under any linux, that is to say, it shouldn't have to be the problem.

So, I doubt whether dbx have given me the right information!!!

CFD codes is extremely huge! I will keep on looking.

Best Regards,
Daniel
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Core File Generation

Hi I am using Linux and I am using Java as well as C++ services running on it. The ulimit -c is set to around 400Mb. Whenever any of the service fails they produce a core file.(Actual size of core could be greater than 400Mb). Whenever my Java service fails I get a core file of size 400Mb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj999
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in Core File

Hi I am using Linux and I have Java as well as C++ services running on it. The ulimit -c is set to around 400Mb. Whenever any of the service fails they produce a core file.(Actual size of core could be greater than 400Mb). Whenever my Java service fails I get a core file of size 400Mb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raj999
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Core file location

Hi, Regarding core dump on HP-UX. more /etc/rc.config.d/savecrash #!/sbin/sh # @(#) $Revision: 80.1 $ # Savecrash configuration # # # SAVECRASH: Set to 0 to disable saving system crash dumps. SAVECRASH=1 # SAVECRASH_DIR:Directory name for system crash dumps. Note: the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

how to delete core file (file created due to apps crashed)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: When looking for corefiles, include any file with core in its name. (Some UNIX/Linux systems add the PID of the process that created the core to reduce the chances of overwriting an already existing core file that might be needed. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
6 Replies

5. HP-UX

disassembling core file

hi, using core file ( stripped version of binary) i'm able to get backtrace. but i'm unable to figure out the root cause by looking at the code. core file has been generated by SEGV. i'm able to disassemble the functions but i do not know how to interpret it. pls suggest. thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between Dual-core & Core-to-duo

Can anybody tell What is the exact difference between a Dual-core processor and a Core-to-duo processor ?Advance thanks to all my friends. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajith kumar.G
1 Replies

7. Programming

How to use a core dump file

Hi All, May be it is a stupid question, but, I would like to know what is the advantage using a core dump file at the moment of debugging using gdb. I know a core dump has information about the state of the application when it crashed, but, what is the difference between debugging using the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
2 Replies

8. Solaris

core file

hello all, I have same core like below: lsav@GINTINGsmsc1/var/opt/GINTING/cores/SLF $ pstack core core 'core' of 26799: /opt/GINTING/bin/SLF -poolSize 520000 pstack: warning: librtld_db failed to initialize; symbols from shared libraries will not be available ----------------- lwp# 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredginting
1 Replies

9. Solaris

core file

Hi friends, Can core file be deleted if there is no need for any one to use it for debugging ? What should be the setting for a person who has root access to the solaris system ? thanks in advance Veera (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core file analysis

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone would be charitable enough to give me a quick explanation of adb usage for analyzing core files...or point me in the right direction. A search here revealed scant results and web searches are providing me with ambiguous information. Running Solaris. Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristy
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question