Dual Boot problem,help!!!!

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dual Boot problem,help!!!!
# 8  
Old 12-20-2001
I don't see a question anywhere in your post so I will have to guess at what kind of answer you are looking for.

Boot off you linux rescue disk. Mount your hard drive. Edit lilo.conf....
# 9  
Old 12-21-2001
After you edited /etc/lilo.conf, you did remember to run lilo again, right?

edit /etc/lilo.conf
/sbin/lilo

Then reboot...

Or
See man lilo... There are ways to update certain settings, and I believe a way to uninstall lilo altogether...
# 10  
Old 12-21-2001
Merv,

When you edit the /etc/lilo.conf file, make sure you do it as root, also, depending on the editor you are using, you may have to force a write.

In vi, you can do this by putting a '!' at the end of the command, so to force a write, and then quit, you use the 'wq!' command.

This should help, and in my experience editing lilo and getting the XP partition to boot again by this method is the easiest if you cannot do a repair from the XP disk, any other version of windows will only corrupt XP.
# 11  
Old 12-24-2001
screw all that...take the easy way out

Just go to the command line or terminal emulator in Linux and type: fdisk /dev/hda

That should get you into the fdisk menu where you can blast away your partitions and start from scratch so that you can easily reload your Windows OS('s) and/or Linux again. If I'm not mistaken, when you load Linux (again) it will give you an option to make other partitions on your hard drive bootable so that you can load multiple OS's. Well, I know RedHat 7.1 gave me an option like that. The only thing was you needed to have partitioned the hard drive manually during setup specifically for that, either with fdisk or DiskDruid.

Just do some online research on multi-booting Mandrake and XP...I'm sure that other people have doen this already with success.

Good luck.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dual boot

Hi, I am having 1 TB hard disk and in that I have to install windows,linux 64 bit and linux 32 bit total 3 operating systems I need to install, how could I do that please help. I am having 64 bit machine h/w Thanks, Trimurtulu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
5 Replies

2. Red Hat

Dual Boot Problem - Vista & Redhat -Incorrect BIOS geometry

Hi Folks, Initially I had vista and redhat 9 .. due to some reasons i had to re instal my vista again.. since then the dual boot menu disappeared.. i tried to re install redhat and changing the boot configuration of redhat 9 but i am not getting both the OS back .. I am not aboe to boot linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem setting up dual boot

Hi, I am trying to set up a dual boot system with Red Hat EL 5.2 and Windows XP Pro. I have a separate disk for each OS. Grub is on the same disk as redhat(the primary disk). I know that Windows is installed correctly because if I force a load on the secondary disk Windows loads correctly.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adawg1217
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Windows / Open Solaris dual boot problem.

Okay, let me sketch the problem. I did have a ubuntu / Windows XP dual boot scenario that ran grub as my boot loader. I decided I wanted to try out solaris, so I popped in the opensolaris CD and hit install and told it to format and install over my linux partition. Of course it did that, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another dual boot question/problem

Well, I formatted my entire harddrive (40gig), partitioned it into three partitions, FAT32 for WindowsXP (30 gig), Linux ext3 (7gig), and Linux swap (about 500mb). All this with PartitionMagic 8.0 and it took hours. After all that, I installed the "publishers version" of Red Hat with ease. I was on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chutt
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual boot problem

Hi All, I have a pc loaded with windows 2000 professional. Recently added new disk of size 80GB and installed redhat linux to second disk. Now system is booting to linux but not to windows 2000. How to configure for dual boot. Thanks in advance - Bache Gowda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual Boot on HP-UX

Hy all Does anyone have Info on how to make a dual boot HP UX 10-20 HP UX 11 on a server ? Thanks in advance Olivier (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot help...

Hi there! I have a laptop which I plan on installing a dual boot on with Windows and Linux. I have Windows 98 installed at the moment, and I also have a copy of Slackware 8. I talked to friend, and he said he had some problems installing a dual boot with linux on his laptop... So I just came... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot no more

Ok I had a windows and RH dual boot system and have now converted over completly to the linux system. How do I regain the other half of my drive? I cannot see it in the disk manager. what do I do to format so that i can mount it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in dual boot

i want to know how do i make my system a dual boot system for Linux 7.1 and Windows Nt 4.0 :( :confused: :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad2life
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question