remote shell command

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers remote shell command
# 1  
Old 08-08-2001
remote shell command

1. is there anyone know what is the record format for file .rhosts ?
2. where to put .rhosts file ? is it on caller or on callee ?
3. will remsh command works if callee is not unix platform (say AS400) ?
4. best regards, Yatno
# 2  
Old 08-08-2001
.rhost....

try man page first
$man rhosts
--T.H.
# 3  
Old 08-08-2001
1. hostname username
2. in home directory from user for example user root in /
3. should be

Regards
Michael
# 4  
Old 08-10-2001

1. <your local unix machines host name/Ip Address > <ur user name>

for Ex:- 12.12.23.43 nicholas
This is ur local system's IP address & local user name...

2. Please place this file into users home direcotry on the remote systems in to which u want to try remote activities.

Ex: If u want to login on the remote system as root, then place this file in the root directory itself i.e. under '/'

If u want to login on the remote system as xxxx, then place this file in the /usr/users/xxxx (this is the home directory of the users xxxxx on the remote system).

3. I'm not shure about this....

Do let us know....
# 5  
Old 08-10-2001
Hostname order

A tip if you are having problems using remsh etc commands even when you think your .rhosts files are setup correctly:

Use both short and FQDN (fully qualified domain names) in your .rhosts files:

jumbo root
jumbo.amazon.com root

Also the actual *order* of short and FQDN can be important:

jumbo.amazon.com root
jumbo root

HP-UX's MC/Serviceguard is known to have issues with this.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script

Geeks, Could you please help me out in my script and identify the missing piece. I need to check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script and send out an email when process/processes is/are not running on any/all server(s). Here's the complete... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Until string from remote command equals value run remote command

I solved my issue by using the following code #!/bin/bash function GET_STATUS { #values Active Passive Failed ssh -a localhost '/home/user/fakecommand.sh' } STATE="unknown" until ] do echo $STATE sleep 5 STATUS=`GET_STATUS` echo $STATUS | grep Active &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: $scipt_Kid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering remote UNIX shell script from Remote desktop

I m trying to run a batch script in remote desktop which executes unix commands on the unix server...the problem is i wnt the output in HTML format.so in my batch script i m giving the cmd like ssh hostname path ksh HC_Report.ksh>out.html ...but it generates the HTML file in remote desktop .i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing command in a remote machine through ssh - shell script

Hi All, i have two machines like x and y . my requirement is i should connect to machine Y from x through ssh connection . and do some operation such as copy and move and delete files in Y machine . i tried with this code but it is doing in machine x only . and i need to exit from Y when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rateeshkumar
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

remote shell

hi how can i make remote shell to hp-ux from linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dereckfun
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command not working with rsh(remote shell)

Hi, root@air01a>SS7Manager -status This command gives correct output. But when I write this in script and run it on SUNMC (which can connect to air01 and by default login as root). It gives the error "SS7manager not found" or "can not open". Here is the scripts. #!/bin/sh rsh air01a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lastkey
4 Replies

8. Programming

Remote Shell Program

Hello, Where can I find some Remote shell program in UNIX Environment? thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kennethchow
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runnig Remote Shell

Please I need your help. I want to run remotely a unix shell that run a java process, from a Visual Basic Client. Thanks mac33 :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac33
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop in remote shell command

Hi All Does anyone have any idea on how I can create a loop when running a remote shell. e.g. If I want to execute the following command remotely and log the output locally for x in `lsvg` do lsvg $x done > /tmp/myfile I have tried rsh myhost -l root for x in `lsvg`^Jdo^Jlsvg $x^Jdone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question