Help w/ save and executing terminal actions

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Help w/ save and executing terminal actions
# 1  
Old 10-13-2009
Question Help w/ save and executing terminal actions

Hey everyone,

Being new to the deeper levels of OS X and UNIX I am hoping the bright minds on the board could push me in the right direction.

On a daily basis I work as a CG Generalist (creating 3D for film) and I am using a 3th party render engine with my main 3D program (Autodesk Maya) which in order to render needs a license issued.

Normally I would have to go thru the finder to the directory of the render engine and then open the terminal and drag two files into it -
the first file being a UNIX exe (Called licserver "License Server") and the other a .dat file (license.bat) and after pressing return it would issue my license and I can render.

This was okay to do the first 2 times until it got rather teadious and knowing that there is always a smarter way of doing it I looked into issuing the license from within Maya.

The way I imagined doing it would be as following:

In maya I would use it's native language (MEL) to execute a apple script which contained a "do shell script" command that would do what I did manually.

My questions is - is this a feasible way or could I do a "recording" of some sort of what I've been doing in there terminal and save it as a executable file ??

Again as I am new to the unix / Terminal element of os x I am not sure what I am looking for so any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I am not clear about some aspect or you need more information on it just let me know and I will post what you need.

Thanks in advance.
Sofus
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save value from output of Corestat and save in a list for each core

I am trying to modify the "corestat v1.1" code which is in Perl.The typical output of this code is below: Core Utilization CoreId %Usr %Sys %Total ------ ----- ----- ------ 5 4.91 0.01 4.92 6 0.06 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to save and execute terminal commands in shell?

I frequently use some commands, which I want to save in some file say myregularshell.shthese are the commands I use, I tried saving and executing, but couldn't get the preview of execution, and result is also not coming if I copy same commands and paste it on terminal result is coming cd go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a shell script everytime the terminal is opened

the problem statement is Write a shell script, which gets executed the moment the user opens a terminal. It should display the message "Hello your_name, welcome to 172.16.4.120 server” How to get around this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a script from CRON behaves differently than terminal

Hi have a script which transferers from Microsoft server to Linux box. The scripts(ksh) is on Linux box. If I run script from terminal, it transfers files to directory. Where as If I run script from CRON. It does not. Here is the log of both: Terminal execution log:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save cURL verbose output to file or do it like browser "save as.."

hi there ! i have exactly the same problem like this guy here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127668-getting-curl-output-verbose-file.html i am not able to save the curl verbose output.. the sollution in this thread (redirecting stderr to a file) does not work for me.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabmeat
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Auditing User's actions

Hi all I hope to find what i'm looking for in this forum as said in the topic i want to track user's actions on the system. i mean also the action of moving or removing files. I have an HP 9000 with HP UX 11i. the users log on the HP from a terminal window under WIndows XP Thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timberland
3 Replies

7. Solaris

terminal output - save to file?

I have a window open on my ultra 10 - a terminal window connecting to a server. Is there any way I can log all output to this window to a log file on my ultra 10 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple scripting actions

Hi, I am a beginner in unix shell scripting. I wanted simple information like 1- How to know what are the number of command line options given for the script file? 2- How to check if a variable value is interger or string? 3- How to use awk to replace value of a variable For example I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nads
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

see user's actions from another terminal

I would like to know if there is a way to see what a user is doing from another terminal. I want to be able to see exactly what they see on their terminal. Is that possible ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: silver40
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question