Conditionally replace field content

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Conditionally replace field content
# 1  
Old 11-13-2015
Conditionally replace field content

Hello

I am trying to conditionally replace field content in $2 of input file if pattern is found in $4 of the same tab-separated input file. Currently, $2 is empty. I am trying (with no success):
Code:
awk -F "\t" 'BEGIN {FS="\t"}{ if ($4=="NO") $2=$2"NO"; print $0}' in > out

# 2  
Old 11-13-2015
WHAT exactly is the problem (except from you specifying the field separator twice)? I found it working trying it on some sample file...
# 3  
Old 11-13-2015
"I am trying (with no success)" doesn't give us much of a hint as to what is not working.

What operating system are you using?

What shell are you using?

Please show us some sample input that you want to process with your awk command. And then, show us the output your are getting from your awk command and the output you want to get.

Of course, there is my very frequent warning on these forums: If you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk.

And, as RudiC hinted, if you want the input and output field separators to be the <tab> character, you want to change:
FS="\t" to OFS="\t".

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace last field in a file,if first field matches

Hi, Need to replace last field in a file(/etc/passwd) ,if first filed matches with particular username. Scenario: cat testfor1 deekshi:x:7082:7082::/home/deekshi:/bin/bash harini1:x:7083:7083::/home/harini1:/bin/bash Here,if first field contains "deekshi", then i should replace... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditionally replace nth argument of every function call

I have very large perl source code file and I want to replace every occurrence function say foo,The function foo has some arguments and I want to replace 2nd argument,the current argument is hex integer and i want to replace it to equivalent string.Also I want to replace function name foo with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravint
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to conditionally replace a pattern?

Hi, How to replace only the function calls with a new name and skip the function definition and declarations. consider the following code. There are 2 functions defined here returnint and returnvoid. I need to replace returnint with giveint and returnvoid with givevoid only in the function... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to conditionally replace a pattern?

Hi, How to replace only the function calls with a new name and skip the function definition and declarations. consider the following code. There are 2 functions defined here returnint and returnvoid. I need to replace returnint with giveint and returnvoid with givevoid only in the function... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a field from a line with another field

i have something like this, cat filename.txt hui this si s"dfgdfg" omeone ipaddress="10.19.123.104" wel hope this works i want to replace only 10.19.123.104 with different ip say 10.19.123.103 i tried this sed -i "s/'ipaddress'/'ipaddress=10.19.123.103'/g" filename.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a text in a file conditionally?

I have got about 100 ascii files and I want replace some variable with a new one on an HP-UX system. But I want to put a line of comments before the change. I want to make file1 to file2. I am explaining below. file1: line1 line2 export QNAME=ABC line4 line5 file2: line1 line2 #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace blank field in file 2 with content of file 1

Something like vlookup in excel, column 2 in file 2 is blank and should be replaced by column 2 in file 1 based on comparing column 1 in both files. file1 Code: 1234~abc~b~c~d~e~f~g~h~09/10/09 5678~def~b~c~d~e~f~g~h~12/06/10 8910~hij~b~c~d~e~f~g~h~03/28/13... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to spilit a row into fields and store the field content to the array

consider this is a line A#B#C#D#E#F#G#H note the delimeter is # i want to cut or spilt in to fields using the delimeter # and to store in an array. like this array=A array=B array=C array=D array=E and the array content should be displayed. echo "${array}" echo "${array}"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barani75
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

change field content awk

I have a line like this: I want to move HTTP/1.1 200 OK to the next line and put a blank line between the two lines i.e. How can i get it using awk? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question