Tab completion in csh

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tab completion in csh
# 1  
Old 12-05-2007
Tab completion in csh

Is it possible to set up my .cshrc so that a single tab attempts to autocomplete, while a double tab gives a list of all possible options. In other words, I want it to work like bash in this regard.

Thanks!
# 2  
Old 12-10-2007
Anybody? Buehler... Buehler...

(I'd have just said "bump" but that was too short for the system. Smilie )
# 3  
Old 12-12-2007
in ~/.cshrc put
set filec
set autolist

you may also like:
set nobeep
This User Gave Thanks to vermaden For This Post:
# 4  
Old 12-12-2007
Thanks! That did the trick!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Tab Completion Hanging

Hi, I'm having a problem with tab completion at the bash command line. For some reason, whenever I type g<tab>, the terminal will freeze up for 5-10 seconds before asking me if I want to display all 325 possibilities. I thought that maybe it's because of the high number of commands, but I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raz716
4 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cygwin: no tab completion options when using tilda

Hi, I am using cygwin on windows machine. Tab completion works as expected in almost all areas, except for when I use tilda (~) to access files/dir under my home dir. When i type 'cd ~/' and hit TAB nothing happens, no completion options are given. I can type just 'cd' and it will change to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: centerback
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange tab-completion behavior with zsh in screen

I'm running Mac OS, using the latest version of zsh. I've noticed that I have funny tab-completion behavior when inside a screen session. Specifically, once I press tab, the first part of my command seems to be duplicated before the completion results are inserted. For example, if I type... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshaul
14 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

TAB completion in cygwin

Hi there, I ve been using cygwin for some time now without any problems. However, recently I ve mapped a new drive on Windows and are now having problems with TAB completion for awk scripts in cygwin on this newly mapped drive (cygdrive t). I can access and run all files but cygwin doesn't do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommes
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

hp unix doesn't have tab completion

hi guys, i am new to HP unix , i am doing Solaris , i am just asking is there any thing like "bash" in hp unix including tab completion? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagigg
8 Replies

6. HP-UX

color terminal and tab completion?

hello, i'm a linux zealot (fedora), so i know a some about unix. the company i work for uses HP-UX though and there are a few quirks i'd like smooth out by making them work more like my beloved redhat type systems...=) right now they have all users using ksh and completion is done by hitting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clockworks
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[tcsh2bash] Tab completion - 'enhanced' equivalent in bash?

I really like tcsh's: set completion='enhanced' because it treats underscores and dash signs the same. I don't have to reach for the shift key when trying to complete files that have underscores. As far as I know, there is nothing like this in bash. Does such a thing exist in bash? If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarnobat
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab completion gubbins

Hello all How do you configure unix terminal to list files as you tab complete. I'm using a unix terminal at work and when i first started tab complete on a folder would list all matches if there were more than one. eg. monkey.xml mon.xml monkeyboy.xml in one folder if i cd into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNUless
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab Completion on Solaris 10

Hi, Is there a way to turn on tab completetion on Solaris 10? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annointed3
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab completion using ! history command

Hi all, I recently discovered the ! command. I think it's great that !cd ? will match the last command that began with cd ?. However, for ! to be particularly useful to me (for now anyway) it would be nice if there was a tab completion option available (as with the cd command). Does anyone know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-375HK-x
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question