how to install windows and linux

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to install windows and linux
# 1  
Old 08-27-2002
Question how to install windows and linux

dear experts:

I have a system with that specification:

intel PII 266 MMX
10GB hard disk
64MB RAM

I want to install Mandrake 8.2 and windows me in the same box .. how can I do that .. I look for help in the net but all of those faq are complecated. and the partition software dos not support Ext3 . so how can I make that .. please some one explain me how can I do that and got a screen in the starting of the system to chose which OS to chose .. or any useful site explain that ..

with my thanks
# 2  
Old 08-27-2002
Dear Rude,

The partition software you are looking for is Acronis OS Selector 5.0. I have not used the software myself, (I use Partition Magic 7.0) but it looks like its pretty "Newbie"proof. The url is http://www.acronis.com/products/oss50/. Heres a short faq...

Acronis' exclusive file systems support includes FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, Linux Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS, and Linux Swap. You do not have to be an expert - our lightening-fast and reliable software makes all partition and administration operations as easy as one-two-three.

Operating systems supported
DOS
Windows 3.1 + DOS
Windows 95
Windows 95 OSR 2
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows NT 3.1
Windows NT 3.5
Windows NT 3.51
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Linux (any distribution)
FreeBSD
Solaris
SCO UNIX
UNIXWARE
OS/2
BeOS
QNX
B-TRON
Special support for unknown systems

System requirements
i386 or better CPU
4 MB RAM for boot management
32 MB RAM for hard disk partition management
more than 32 MB RAM for large partition management

Good luck and let me know if that is what your looking for!!!

Last edited by Bodhi; 08-27-2002 at 08:58 PM..
# 3  
Old 08-27-2002
Question thank you

Dear Bodhi and all users

thank you for your help .. I prefer to work with a software that have been tested .. I want to install mandrake 8.2 and I have installed windows .. and I used fdisk to make 2 partitions .. C and D and I installed millenum in C .. does I need a partition software and does partition magic 7 work with win me and mandrake 8.2 if partition magic work then I will use it

thank you again
# 4  
Old 08-27-2002
Dear Rude,

Partition Magic does work with Windoze and Linux (but only ext2) if that isnt a problem. Try it out , its really simple to use!!!!!!

Last edited by Bodhi; 08-27-2002 at 09:55 PM..
# 5  
Old 08-28-2002
Hi,

The mandrake Linux has a tool called DiskDrake, that does de partition split for you. Its very easy to use.
# 6  
Old 08-28-2002
dear luiz_fer10

thank you verymuch >> I will check the mandrake manual for that feathers .. if I used that partition software .. will I got a window in the starting of the PC ask me which OS do I want to run

thank

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Qt windows 10 install problem?

qt windows 10 install problem? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaja
0 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

install windows on mac

Hello all, i want to install windows on mac and when i search i found that there is a program called Parallels Desktop to install windows on mac but i want it on the laptop not on the program does it work? or there is another anyway to install it on mac..?? Thanks in advanced (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham$
8 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to Install Windows Xp on Network?

If you don't have DVD-Rom then how would you install windows Xp on Network? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman0931
2 Replies

5. Linux

Install Linux on remote server from Windows PC

I am very new with servers and have never used Linux. The server I'm looking at is not currently connected to anything, and I wish to install Linux on this server. It doesn't have a monitor (no video card) or keyboard. It does have a DVD. Can I communicate with that server using a Windows PC to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvalenti
8 Replies

6. Solaris

install solaris 8 on windows xp OS

Hi everyone, I want to install solaris 8 on emachines computer , but it already have windows xp opeting system. can you help me how to install solaris 8 on windows xp os ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: latkanto
4 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Install Windows 2003 R2 on existing Windows 2008

Hi, I am trying to install WIndows 2003 R2 Server on existing Windows 2008 server. When I run the 2003 cd it says no disk found. What can be the problem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnervarma
2 Replies

8. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need to install red hat linux on existing windows vista OS as dual boot

HI ALL, I need to install linux on already existing windows vista OS. I tried to install linux,am getting error while creating patitions, i)selected manula patition with grude option.. after that when i m selecting free space to create mount points, its giving error "could not allocate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i install UNIX beside Windows XP???

Hi guys i'm new here .. and actually i wanna anyone answer my question it's simple the question is " can i setup or install UNIX beside windows XP?" i need answer plz thanks :) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: M_Hafez
11 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question