Assistance with my Find command to identify last part of a file name and report the name found

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assistance with my Find command to identify last part of a file name and report the name found
# 8  
Old 11-18-2019
You can put semicolons instead of newlines.
And vice versa; there is hardly a need for a one-liner.
Example string:
Code:
echo 'two
lines'

Example shell code:
Code:
result=$(
if [ -f /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_green ]
then echo "green"
elif [ -f /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_red ]
then echo "red"
else echo "does not exist"
fi
)

# 9  
Old 11-18-2019
Thank you apmcd47 for your helpful reply. I've managed to get the following code working to identify what I need:

Code:
[ -f /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* ] && echo /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* | sed 's/.*version_//'

But what could I add to this code to report that no file was found if a bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* file does not exist?

Thank you.
# 10  
Old 11-19-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by greavette
Thank you apmcd47 for your helpful reply. I've managed to get the following code working to identify what I need:

Code:
[ -f /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* ] && echo /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* | sed 's/.*version_//'

But what could I add to this code to report that no file was found if a bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* file does not exist?

Thank you.
If you use my second example you could just add a second echo thus:
Code:
f=$(echo/var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_*) && [ -f "$f" ] && echo ${f##*_} || echo "file does not exist"

In this case the string file does not exist is printed instead of the word red or green. Alternatively look into turning that echo into the instruction you actually want:
Code:
f=$(echo/var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_*) && [ -f "$f" ] && cat > my_file_is_${f##*_}.txt <<EOT
this will go into the file my_file_is_red.txt
or the file my_file_is_green.txt
only if the file bootstrap_cookbooks_version_red 
(or ..._green) exist!
EOT

Andrew
# 11  
Old 11-19-2019
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greavette
Code:
[ -f /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* ]

Is often seen but still wrong and it won't work as expected. A file glob returns a list of files (or the glob itself if no file of that pattern exists).You can't use it as input to a test -f.
# 12  
Old 12-15-2019
Yes, test -f on wildcards is too risky.
A loop is more robust:
Code:
for f in green red; do [ -f "/var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_$f" ] && echo "$f" && break; done || echo "file does not exist"

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assistance with my one line command to find all inactive kernels

Hello Forum, I'm using the following command to find all inactive kernels installed on my RHEL server: $ rpm -qa | grep '^kernel-' |grep -vE `uname -r` but the result is in two lines: kernel-3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64 kernel-3.10.0-1062.el7.x86_64 Is there a one line command I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable as part of expression in find command

Hi, I am new in scripting, and I am currently working on a script that will look for other files in a certain directory and exclude some file type. this works fine:Find_File2Exclude=`find ${paths} -maxdepth 1 -type f \( ! -iname '*.out' ! -iname '*.auc' ! -iname '*.cps' ! -iname '*.log' ! -iname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedd05
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Identify the folder is part of which mount point

Dear, I am using Redhat 6.6 . How to identify a given directory is part of which mount point. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneesha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance on making a report log file

:):):):):) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan101
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Assistance with find command please

Trying to locate files less than xx days old, throughout all directories/subdirectories, but excluding certain types of directories and files. The directories I want to search all contain the same characteristic (dbdef, pldef, ghdef, etc), and there are subdirectories within that I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Condmach
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File not found using find

Hi, i'm currently writing a script which tidys up old files. When using the find command I found that some files were not being listed /export/home/ops***/test: ls -l processed total 0 -rw-rw-r-- 1 ops*** ****** 0 Apr 20 11:53 test99 /export/home/ops***/test: ls -l total 4... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

print as well as count the files found by find command

I want the output of the find command to be printed and also the total files found by it. Can someone help in this. Obviously $ find . -type f | wc -l will not output the files found but only the count. I want both. There can be millions and trillions of files so dont want the output of find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicon007
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command in while loop - how to get control when no files found?

I have the following statement in script: find ${LANDING_FILE_DIR}${BTIME_FILENAME_PATTERN2} -print | while read file; do ... done When there are no files located by the find comand it returns: "find: bad status-- /home/rnitcher/test/....." to the command line How do I get control in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find command and list in a long format each found file

The purpose of those comands are to find the newest file in a directory acvrdind to system date, and it has to be recursively found in each directory. The problem is that i want to list in a long format every found file, but the commands i use produce unexpected results ,so the output lists in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question