How to enter special characters in a text file using vi?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to enter special characters in a text file using vi?
# 1  
Old 09-15-2015
How to enter special characters in a text file using vi?

Hi,

I need to create a test text file with the special characters \342\200\223 in it and to be able to use sed maybe to delete them

I tried doing it using vi by pressing CTRL-V and then typing 342 but it does not work. After pressing CTRL-V and typing 342 it seems to just insert the numbers 342 in it, tried doing CTRL-V and then \342 does not work either.

Eventually, I would want to search and delete all non-printable characters but at the moment, this is what I am wanting to test on as these characters appear intermittently in a file that I am trying to load into the database.

Thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 09-15-2015
Make sure you're using vim, and not vi.

In the file, switch to INSERT mode. Hit CTRL-V and release. Should see a ^ symbol. Type in the numeric value for the character.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename File Name with Special Characters

I am trying to rename files with spaces and other characters and not able to be successful. FileNames: UPLOAD REFERENCE.xls UPLOAD MASS REFERENCE.XLS find /UPLOAD REFERENCE/ -depth -type f -name "* *" -exec rename " " "_" "{}" ";" The above one is successful to replace spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eskay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Special Characters Within Text

Hi, I have a "|" delimited file that is exported from a database. There is one column in the file which has description/comments entered by some application user. It has "Control-M" character and "New Line" character in between the text. Hence, when i export the data, this record with the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarun.trehan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find text enclosed between special characters

Hi, I'm trying to find all DISTINCT words having _mr in the line and ENCLOSED in '/'. For eg below is the text in a file.. /database/new_mr254/1 /database/rawdb/views/new_mr254/1 /database/project/rawdb/tables/new_mr232/1 /database/project/rawdb/views/new_mr253/1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: northwest
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text to file on certain lines with(special characters)

I need to add "new lines" of text with special characters, to specific lines in the file. There are 3 modifications needed. Been testing 2 here without success. #!/usr/bin/perl use FileHandle; $file=FileHandle->new; $FILENAME="/opt/etc/usr/file.txt"; $file->open ("<$FILENAME") or die... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: A4ron4perl
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed usage with special characters - text manipulation

I'm trying to use sed to replace string in text file but I've some problems with slash and new-line for example I have to replace this string: \> signal_rssi=" or this string where new-line is in the middle of the string: " /> I'm using this code for the first case but it doesn't... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheMrOrange
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from text using PERL

Hi, I am stuck with a problem here. Suppose i have a variable which is assigned some string containing special charatcers. for eg: $a="abcdef^bbwk#kdbcd@"; I have to remove the special characters using Perl. The text is assigned to the variable implicitly. How to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agarwal
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question