Can you specify ports in etc/hosts?

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can you specify ports in etc/hosts?
# 1  
Old 06-12-2002
Can you specify ports in etc/hosts?

Is there a way to specify a port for IP addresses listed in the etc/hosts file, or, does it default to 80 (or something else) and that's what you're stuck with?
# 2  
Old 06-14-2002
According to what protocol you are using, the port is specified.

If you are sending mail it uses SMTP on port 25.
If you are using a browser and put in a host, it uses http on port 80.

I don't believe you can put ports in /etc/hosts (or actually that you would want to - it would just break things). You might want to look at /etc/services which allows you to change where your system listens for different services. Changing http from port 80 to other ports is done all the time. Changing other services (such as SMTP) is not normally done since servers trying to connect to your server will not know about it.

Read the man page on services.
# 3  
Old 06-14-2002
No.

In the /etc/hosts file you can only put IP's, hostname and aliases.

Regards. Hugo.
# 4  
Old 06-14-2002
Thanks...

Thanks for the info. I had come to the same conclusion about that yesterday, fooling around with settings in the file.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies

2. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts file

What are the xid and cid numbers in a host file used for on solaris? If possible can I get a detailed link on the configuration of hosts file explaining xid and cid. :o (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: usm4n
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

Ive change /etc/hosts many times but it reverts to the previous setting automatically. Ive restarted the server after the edit. Any ideas what im doing wrong Previous /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost # Auto-generated hostname. Please do not remove this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wizecho
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

Hello, where can I get complete specification for /etc/hosts? I found a lot of snippets but nothing where the format of file is completely written (I'm especially interested in comments in /etc/hosts) Thank you for help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

etc/hosts or something else??

I was wondering where in UNIX is file where I can delete hosts that can or ca not access UNIX machine thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
5 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

etc/hosts

I was wondering where in UNIX is file where I can delete hosts that can or ca not access UNIX machine thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amon
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IPīs (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

hello dear all , i use both sun solaries 7 and linux red hat 6.1 and i added my pc IP address in /etc/hosts . How do i refresh this file in order to make my new ip active ?? without restart . Thanks all (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question