CISCO syslogging in linux

Operating Systems Linux CISCO syslogging in linux
# 1  
Old 09-03-2004
CISCO syslogging in linux

Hi,

I have a cisco router router and a linux box. I would like to know how to configure both the device so that everything that passes through my router gets logged in the linux box.

Also I am very much new in cisco router. Is it ok to post such question in this forum, or i need to post it somewhere else.

Regards,
# 2  
Old 09-03-2004
this is in the right forum, so dont worry about that Smilie

i wish i could help you but i have no experience with cisco. but someone else here will be able to help.
# 3  
Old 09-27-2004
on the linux side i depends on the type of syslog server you are running.
You need to enable remote reception over UDP.
-r option on debian's default syslog server.

On the Cisco side you need to set

logging 192.168.3.6
logging facility local2

something along those lines.
# 4  
Old 09-28-2004
I have tried this option but still it is not working.

My linux version is Redhat.
The only thing I couldn't understand is how to enable remote reception over UDP using the -r option.

I beleive the redhat server syslog is by default enables remote logging for all incoming request.

Please explain me more elaborately
# 5  
Old 09-28-2004
I usually go through the init scripts and try to find where that script takes its settings from, but I have no redhat here.

here is what I found:
http://www.luci.org/luci-discuss/200301/msg00023.html

Quote:
Normally with RedHat you set the options for syslog in
/etc/sysconfig/syslog. However, if you added the -r to the
/etc/init.d/syslog it will still work.
this is another good one.
http://sisyphus.iocaine.com/pipermai...er/002333.html
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to stack Cisco 2960-S and Cisco 2960X?

Is there an easy way to stack Cisco 2960-S and Cisco 2960X switches? If you have no idea, follow this: 1. Stacking is not supported on switches running the LAN Lite image. All switches in the stack must be running the LAN Base image. 2. In a mixed stack of Catalyst 2960-X and Catalyst 2960-S... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaerlee
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to establish site to site vpn - Linux machine and cisco asa?

Hi, I am trying to establish vpn between my linux server and cisco asa at client side. I installed openswan on my cent os. Linux Server eth0 - 182.2.29.10 Gateway - 182.2.29.1 eth1 - 192.9.200.75 I have simple IPtables Like WAN="eth0" LAN="eth1" (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issues in setting up remote syslogging

Hello, I am using Ubuntu Linux and having problems in setting up remote syslogging. Appreciate your help on this. On the server unix host, I have made following changes. uncommented following lines in /etc/rsyslog.conf $ModLoad imudp $UDPServerRun 514 Now i am trying to run rsyslog in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Linux behind a cisco router

Dear All, I have worked with xDSL routers working in bridged mode, and linux behind them working as a Firewall utilizing IPTABLES. My question is, how this will change if the xDSL router is replaced with a Cisco Router? I mean to ask that, can I assign a public ip on the linux machine, which... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmm
0 Replies

5. Linux

Linux Server Performance and Cisco Equipment

Hi, I have different Linux server which connected via LAN ( Cisco switch and fire wall ). Which is the best way to check the performance of LAN ? e.g. permanent traces on Cisco switch or firewall or sar check and compare the parameters like CPU load, I/O performance and so on Best... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhacodactylus
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

syslogging issues

i'm having some problems with syslogging. i figured out how to allow logging from a specific host (my webramp). syslogd -a ipaddress subnetmask first, what file do the logs go to? second, is there anyway i can save the webramp logs into another file? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
13 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question