Today (Saturday) We will make some minor tuning adjustments to MySQL.

You may experience 2 up to 10 seconds "glitch time" when we restart MySQL. We expect to make these adjustments around 1AM Eastern Daylight Saving Time (EDT) US.


Move matching file to folder in same directory


Login or Register to Reply

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
# 1  
Move matching file to folder in same directory

The below bash executes but nothing is copied. I am trying to cp or mv the matching .pdf to the corresponding folder. There will always be a matching .pdf found but the number of folders may vary. The portion in red is what is used to match the .pdf--- variable $pdf to the folder--- variable $fmatch. If I do an echo I can see the variables are populated correctly. I used cp to test before mv to make sure it works. Thank you Smilie.

folders in $dir --- this is $fmatch
Code:
R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions

pdf in $dir --- this is $pdf
Code:
Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf

desired output
Code:
Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf  ---> R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf ---> R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions

Code:
dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
for file1 in $dir/*.pdf; do
# Grab file prefix
  bname=`basename $file1` # strip of path
  pre="$(echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4)" # remove after fourth underscore
  pdf="$(echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}')" # split on - and print 2 and third field
# Find matching folder
  folder=$(find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d)
  fpre="$(echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)" # remove after ninth underscore
  fmatch="$(echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}')"  # split on - and print third and fourth field
     if [[ $pdf = $fmatch ]] # only execute file---folder value match
      then
   cp $dir/$pdf.pdf $dir/$fmatch
fi
done

bash
# 2  
And what tracing output do you get when you run your script with set -xv enabled?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:
# 3  
Code:
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ set -xv
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
+ dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ for file1 in $dir/*.pdf; do
for file1 in $dir/*.pdf; do
> # Grab file prefix
# Grab file prefix
>   bname=`basename $file1` # strip of path
  bname=`basename $file1` # strip of path
>   pre="$(echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4)" # remove after fourth underscore
  pre="$(echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4)" # remove after fourth underscore
>   pdf="$(echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}')" # split on - and print 2 and third field
  pdf="$(echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}')" # split on - and print 2 and third field
> # Find matching folder
# Find matching folder
>   folder=$(find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d)
  folder=$(find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d)
>   fpre="$(echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)" # remove after ninth underscore
  fpre="$(echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)" # remove after ninth underscore
>   fmatch="$(echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}')"  # split on - and print third and fourth field
  fmatch="$(echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}')"  # split on - and print third and fourth field
>      if [[ $pdf = $fmatch ]] # only execute file---folder value match
     if [[ $pdf = $fmatch ]] # only execute file---folder value match
>       then
      then
>    cp $dir/$pdf.pdf $dir/$fmatch
   cp $dir/$pdf.pdf $dir/$fmatch
> fi
fi
> done
done
+ for file1 in '$dir/*.pdf'
basename $file1
++ basename /home/cmccabe/folder/Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
+ bname=Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4
++ echo Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
++ cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4
+ pre=Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6
echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}'
++ echo Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6
++ awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}'
+ pdf=95-v5.6
find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d
++ find /home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/ /home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/ -type d
+ folder='/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/'
echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
++ echo '/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/
++ cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/'
+ fpre='/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6'
echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}'
++ echo '/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6'
++ awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}'
+ fmatch='95-v5.6
96-v5.6'
+ [[ 95-v5.6 = 95-v5.6
96-v5.6 ]]
+ for file1 in '$dir/*.pdf'
basename $file1
++ basename /home/cmccabe/folder/Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
+ bname=Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4
++ echo Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
++ cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4
+ pre=Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6
echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}'
++ echo Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6
++ awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}'
+ pdf=96-v5.6
find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d
++ find /home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/ /home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/ -type d
+ folder='/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/'
echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
++ echo '/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/'
++ cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
+ fpre='/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6'
echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}'
++ echo '/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6'
++ awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}'
+ fmatch='95-v5.6
96-v5.6'
+ [[ 96-v5.6 = 95-v5.6
96-v5.6 ]]

# 4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccabe
Code:
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ set -xv
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
+ dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ for file1 in $dir/*.pdf; do
for file1 in $dir/*.pdf; do
> # Grab file prefix
# Grab file prefix
>   bname=`basename $file1` # strip of path
  bname=`basename $file1` # strip of path
>   pre="$(echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4)" # remove after fourth underscore
  pre="$(echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4)" # remove after fourth underscore
>   pdf="$(echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}')" # split on - and print 2 and third field
  pdf="$(echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}')" # split on - and print 2 and third field
> # Find matching folder
# Find matching folder
>   folder=$(find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d)
  folder=$(find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d)
>   fpre="$(echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)" # remove after ninth underscore
  fpre="$(echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)" # remove after ninth underscore
>   fmatch="$(echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}')"  # split on - and print third and fourth field
  fmatch="$(echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}')"  # split on - and print third and fourth field
>      if [[ $pdf = $fmatch ]] # only execute file---folder value match
     if [[ $pdf = $fmatch ]] # only execute file---folder value match
>       then
      then
>    cp $dir/$pdf.pdf $dir/$fmatch
   cp $dir/$pdf.pdf $dir/$fmatch
> fi
fi
> done
done
+ for file1 in '$dir/*.pdf'
basename $file1
++ basename /home/cmccabe/folder/Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
+ bname=Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4
++ echo Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
++ cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4
+ pre=Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6
echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}'
++ echo Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6
++ awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}'
+ pdf=95-v5.6
find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d
++ find /home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/ /home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/ -type d
+ folder='/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/'
echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
++ echo '/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/
++ cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/'
+ fpre='/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6'
echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}'
++ echo '/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6'
++ awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}'
+ fmatch='95-v5.6
96-v5.6'
+ [[ 95-v5.6 = 95-v5.6
96-v5.6 ]]
+ for file1 in '$dir/*.pdf'
basename $file1
++ basename /home/cmccabe/folder/Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
+ bname=Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
echo $bname|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4
++ echo Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf
++ cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4
+ pre=Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6
echo $pre|awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}'
++ echo Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6
++ awk -F- '{print $2"-"$3}'
+ pdf=96-v5.6
find /home/cmccabe/folder/*/ -type d
++ find /home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/ /home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/ -type d
+ folder='/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/'
echo "$folder"|cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
++ echo '/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions/'
++ cut -d_ -f1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
+ fpre='/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6'
echo "$fpre"|awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}'
++ echo '/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6
/home/cmccabe/folder/R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6'
++ awk -F- '{print $3"-"$4}'
+ fmatch='95-v5.6
96-v5.6'
+ [[ 96-v5.6 = 95-v5.6
96-v5.6 ]]

And, in that trace output do you see that the if test is always failing as shown in red above because fnmatch is being set to two values as shown in orange and then compared to $pdf which only contains a single value?

And, note that your copy command:
Code:
   cp $dir/$pdf.pdf $dir/$fmatch

can't do what you want it to do if $fmatch expands to two directory names.

Does this tell you what you need to do next?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:
# 5  
The script below will identify the oldest folder in the directory and and stored as $filename and the parsed value is $folder.... user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 is an example.

The awk extracts the matching pdf based on the $filename variable. That pdf is parsed and the user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 is stored in $pdf. The set -xv shows that nothing populates in $pdf. I am not sure why though?

I will then perform the match on the $folder = $pdfand cp. to the matching $folder in $dir. Is there another better way or am I getting closer?

I also removed the gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM) as that is not needed to match the pdf.

Code:
set -xv  # add error checking
dir=/home/cmccabe/folder  # define directory as dir
# Find oldest directory
find "$dir" -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf '%T+\t%P\0' | sort -z |  #s earch dir for only folders by time and sort
while read -r -d $'\t' time && read -r -d '' filename  # read each folder into $filename and grab oldest
do  # start loop
 printf "The oldest folder is $filename, created on $time\n"  # print message with oldest folder
folder="$(echo $filename|cut -d'_' -f8-)" # split on _ and print  # create $folder variable with parse output
echo "The folder is" "$folder"  # confirm parse message --- user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 --- is an example
# Find matching pdf
pdf=$(awk -v FL="$filename" '  # store oldest folder and $FL
         FNR == 1 {filenum++}  # start loop
         filenum==1 && index($0, FL) { # look at only 1 folder and index
              match($0, "_0*([0-9]+)/") # match substring _user in each folder name
              FNUM=substr($0,RSTART+1,RLENGTH-2) # extract contents and store as $FNUM --- user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 --- is an example  
          }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"') # print $FNUM for pdf
   break  # end loop
done  # end processing
echo "The matching pdf is" $pdf  # confirm pdf match
# copy pdf to folder
if [[ "$pdf" = "$folder" ]] # only execute file--->folder value match
      then  # perform action on match
   cp $dir/*$pdf.pdf $dir/*$folder  # copy pdf to matching folder
fi  # end 
done # processing complete

set -xv output

Code:
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ set -xv
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
+ dir=/home/cmccabe/folder
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ # Find oldest directory
# Find oldest directory
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ find "$dir" -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf '%T+\t%P\0' | sort -z |
find "$dir" -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf '%T+\t%P\0' | sort -z |
> while read -r -d $'\t' time && read -r -d '' filename
while read -r -d $'\t' time && read -r -d '' filename
> do
do
>  printf "The oldest folder is $filename, created on $time\n"
 printf "The oldest folder is $filename, created on $time\n"
> folder="$(echo $filename|cut -d'_' -f8-)" # split on _ and print
folder="$(echo $filename|cut -d'_' -f8-)" # split on _ and print
> echo "The folder is" "$folder"
echo "The folder is" "$folder"
> # Find matching pdf
# Find matching pdf
> pdf=$(awk -v FL="$filename" '
pdf=$(awk -v FL="$filename" '
>          FNR == 1 {filenum++}
         FNR == 1 {filenum++}
>          filenum==1 && index($0, FL) { 
         filenum==1 && index($0, FL) { 
>               match($0, "_0*([0-9]+)/")
              match($0, "_0*([0-9]+)/")
>               FNUM=substr($0,RSTART+1,RLENGTH-2)
              FNUM=substr($0,RSTART+1,RLENGTH-2)
>               gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM)
              gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM)
>           }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"')
          }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"')
>    break
   break
> done
done
+ sort -z
+ find /home/cmccabe/folder -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf '%T+\t%P\0'
+ read -r -d '	' time
+ read -r -d '' filename
+ printf 'The oldest folder is R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions, created on 2019-03-01+11:32:47.3690364740\n'
The oldest folder is R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions, created on 2019-03-01+11:32:47.3690364740
echo $filename|cut -d'_' -f8-
++ echo R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
++ cut -d_ -f8-
+ folder=user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
+ echo 'The folder is' user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
The folder is user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
awk -v FL="$filename" '
         FNR == 1 {filenum++}
         filenum==1 && index($0, FL) { 
              match($0, "_0*([0-9]+)/")
              FNUM=substr($0,RSTART+1,RLENGTH-2)
              gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM)
          }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"'
++ awk -v FL=R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions '
         FNR == 1 {filenum++}
         filenum==1 && index($0, FL) { 
              match($0, "_0*([0-9]+)/")
              FNUM=substr($0,RSTART+1,RLENGTH-2)
              gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM)
          }filenum==2 && $0 ~ FNUM".pdf$"'
+ pdf=
+ break
cmccabe@Satellite-M645:~$ echo "The matching pdf is" $pdf
echo "The matching pdf is" $pdf
+ echo 'The matching pdf is'
The matching pdf is


Last edited by cmccabe; 03-03-2019 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: updated script with comments
# 6  
Hi mccabe,
I am completely confused by your description of your code. I don't understand how most of what you have described could happen. (Or, since your code isn't working, maybe I'm not confused.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccabe
The script below will identify the oldest folder in the directory and and stored as $filename and the parsed value is $folder.... user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 is an example.
OK. think I understand the first part of this. You are afraid that some of your directory names contain <newline> characters, so instead of using <newline>s to separate the timestamp and directory name output records from find, you're using a null byte to separate records. You hadn't said anything about <newline>s in filenames (including directories) being a problem, so why add this complexity? It is clearly confusing me and your awk script.

I'm further confused by your choice of variable names. The value assigned to the variable named filename is the pathname of a directory (which I believe is a synonym for folder in your code). The value assigned to the variable named folder is a substring of the value assigned to filename and, if I understand it correctly is also a substring of exactly one PDF file in this directory as well. Is there also supposed to be a directory with a name that exactly matches that substring? Are you trying to copy the PDF file to a regular file with that common substring as its new filename? Are you trying to copy the PDF file into a directory whose name is that common substring?
Quote:
The awk extracts the matching pdf based on the $filename variable. That pdf is parsed and the user_S5-0271-96-v5.6 is stored in $pdf. The set -xv shows that nothing populates in $pdf. I am not sure why though?
I don't know what most of that means, but I see absolutely no possibility that this code could do that. The awk code seems to be playing some games with the name of the directory being processed on this time through the loop. The awk code is not given any filenames to process, so it will be reading all of the remaining output from sort as a single partial line of text that contains a NULL byte (meaning it is not text) for each directory that find found. This also means that we will only go through this loop once. The only way that this awk script could ever print anything would be if a line of input in the second input file it processes ends with the string .pdf. But since there is only one partial line of input in the output from sort that awk is reading and there is no second input file for awk to process, that can never happen. Therefore, as we see in the trace output, awk does not print anything and the pdf variable in your script is set to an empty string.

The awk utility is not capable of parsing a PDF file. The awk utility is intended to read lines from text files. PDF files are not text files. The output from sort -z is not a text file either.
Quote:
I will then perform the match on the $folder = $pdfand cp. to the matching $folder in $dir. Is there another better way or am I getting closer?
Huh? Do you really have directories that have names that end with .pdf?

I'm sorry, but I don't know if you're getting closer. I haven't figured out what directories are involved in what you're trying to do and I haven't figured out what your goals are. I don't even know if you're just trying to move one PDF file or move one PDF file for each directory that is in the directory named /home/cmccabe/folder.
Quote:
I also removed the gsub(/^0+/,"", FNUM) as that is not needed to match the pdf.
Since you aren't checking the return codes from the functions you call in awk, you don't know whether or not anything matched. You assume that it did and at least sometimes it doesn't.

In post #1 you said you wanted to produce the output:
Code:
Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf  ---> R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf ---> R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions

but I don't see how that relates to making a copy of the oldest file, why there would be two lines of output related to making a copy of the oldest file, nor why the spacing is different on the desired two lines of output.

Quote:
... ... ...
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:
# 7  
Quote:
In post #1 you said you wanted to produce the output:
Code:
Auto_user_S5_0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf  ---> R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-95-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions
Auto_user_S5_0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions.pdf ---> R_2019_01_30_14_24_53_user_S5-0271-96-v5.6_Oncomine_Childhood_Cancer_Research_DNA_and_Fusions

Yes I am just trying to move or copy the .pdf with a partial match (portion in green) to the folder with the partial match (other portion in green).

Quote:
I'm further confused by your choice of variable names. The value assigned to the variable named filename is the pathname of a directory (which I believe is a synonym for folder in your code). The value assigned to the variable named folder is a substring of the value assigned to filename and, if I understand it correctly is also a substring of exactly one PDF file in this directory as well. Is there also supposed to be a directory with a name that exactly matches that substring? Are you trying to copy the PDF file to a regular file with that common substring as its new filename? Are you trying to copy the PDF file into a directory whose name is that common substring?
I will use more descriptive variables in my codes. $filename is a path with the folder name in it. The path is removed from it using basename and the $folder substing is cut from it (user_S5-0271-96-v5.6). There is exactly 1 pdf in the directory with this substring in it (there may be multiple folders and pdf's with different names). I am trying to copy or move the pdf with the common substring into the folder.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't know if you're getting closer. I haven't figured out what directories are involved in what you're trying to do and I haven't figured out what your goals are. I don't even know if you're just trying to move one PDF file or move one PDF file for each directory that is in the directory named /home/cmccabe/folder.
If there are 10 folders in /home/cmccabe/folder, there will be 10 partial matching pdf in there as well. The substring will be unique (that is only be a partial match to 1 folder in the directory). If all 10 can be moved or copied to there folder that is the ultimate goal.

The find was because I thought I needed to perform the action (move or copy) one at a time and wanted to make sure all the names were sorted and trimmed. Thank you very much Smilie.
Login or Register to Reply

|
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
Advanced Search

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one folder to another along with directory indicator

Hi All, I have directory and it has multiple sub directories and all these sub directories contains many files. i want to move all these files to one different directory. But after moving files i should be able to recognize which file belongs to which directory. Is there any way to achieve... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move set of file from one folder to another folder

Hi all, let me explain my requirments i am having 5 folder with different name for eg) abc , cdf , efd, rtg, ead each 5 folders contain 15 files i want to move 10 files to some other folder, remain 5 files should be there in the same folder. give me some suggestion on this. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTPS Script to move a file to Unix Folder

Dear Experts, I need to connect to a FTPS Server and move the files from FTPS folder "/SAP/Out" to Unix directory "/SAP/In". I need to run this script on Unix directory...Script should get the files from FTPS folder and place that in specified Unix Directory. Thanks In Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani333
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search through subfolders and move them into separate folder on the base of file size

Hello guys I am sure that you will help me on this issue as you did earlier::) Scenario : I have a folder named "XYZ". It consist many sub-folders and subfolder contain severals files. there may be abc.dat in each subfolder. Now i want to seperate subfolders on follwing conditions- if abc.dat... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: infiant
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory, is this possible? if it is, can someone help me on this? Thanks! God bless! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the file from one folder to another folder

Hi, I have a requirement to move a file from one folder(a) to another folder(b) only when folder (b) have a write permission. Folder permission is 755 If the permission is otherthan 755 we need to come out of the loop I will appreciate your help Thanks Soll (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sollins
1 Replies

Featured Tech Videos