How to get file path without the file name

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get file path without the file name
# 1  
Old 08-16-2005
How to get file path without the file name

Hello all
im doing this to build batch cp command :

find ../php/ -type f | awk '{print "cp "$1 }'

now I missing the second part of the command that will give me the destination path that is
the same but without the file name , how can I drop the filename with awk so the result will be :

"cp php/admin/foo.php ../php/admin/ "

thanks for the help.
# 2  
Old 08-16-2005
Code:
echo 'a/b/c/d' | nawk '{match($1, "^.*/"); print substr($1, 1, RLENGTH-1)}'

# 3  
Old 08-16-2005
MySQL

see something like

find ../php/ -type f | awk '{print "cp `dirname $1`" }'

dirname: this will give you path of file excluding filename.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I add a log file path to a vi file to monitor all the changes made to the file?

I'm curious to know how do I add an empty log file (test1.log) to an existing text file to monitor all the changes made to a.txt. Is this expression export PATH=$PATH:/home/test1.log right to be added to the text file a.txt? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestKing
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move the file from one path to another using .sh file in EBS Oracle apps.

Hi All, I just want to move the file from one path to another using .sh file in EBS oracle apps. I have written in .prog but i need in .sh (file.sh) XXC_SAMPLE_FILE.prog #!/bin/bash # XXC_SAMPLE_FILE.prog DATE_TIME=`date | awk {' print $1"_"$2"_"$3"_"$4 '}` echo "parse_parms" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mist123
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help on moving .csv file from UNIX to windows file path

Need help on moving .csv file from unix to windows file path. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive file processing from a path and printing output in a file

Hi All, The script below read the path and searches for the directories/subdirectories and for the files. If files are found in the sub directories then read the content of the all files and put the content in csv(comma delimted) format and the call the write to xml function to write the std... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find locked files, print file path, unlock file

using OS X and the Terminal, I'd like to find all locked files in a specified directory, unlock them, and print a list of those files that were unlocked how can I do this? I'm familiar with chflags nouchg for unlocking one file but not familiar with unix enough to do what I'd like. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem writing file path to txt file

if test -z "$1" then echo "you must give a filename or filepath" else path=`dirname $1` f_name =`basename $1` if path="." then path=`pwd` fi fi cat $f_name $path >> index.txt The only problem I am encountering with this is writing $path to index.txt Keeps going gaga: cat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vintage_hegoog
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

serach and replace file name in the path in a remote xml file

hi every one , here is my problem !! i have to run my script from an account and update the result in a xml file located on a different account. i use existing ssh keys to do it remotely for example the tags looks like this <PropertyValueList... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranreddy1215
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question