Unix Remove repetitive alphabets

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Remove repetitive alphabets
# 1  
Old 02-02-2010
Unix Remove repetitive alphabets

Hi,

I am trying to write a script that will take 2 or more instances of repetitive alphabets (ZZ) to be removed from a field. This should only happen from beginning and end of a field.

For Example :

Input File

Code:
a) ZZZIBM Corporation 
b) ZZZIBM Corporation ZZZZZ
b) IBM ZZZ Corporation

Output Result should be as follow :

Code:
a) IBM Corporation 
b) IBM Corporation
b) IBM ZZZ Corporation

Please advise.

Thanks....

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-03-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags!
# 2  
Old 02-02-2010
Always be ZZ?

Code:
sed 's/\(^.. \)Z*/\1/;s/Z*$//' urfile

# 3  
Old 02-02-2010
Code:
sed "s/^\(.\)\1\{1,\}//;s/\(.\)\1\{1,\}$//" file

# 4  
Old 02-02-2010
It will be all Z's but it can be 2 or more repetitive Z. So will the sed command will work for 2 or more Z? Also, will it take Z's from beginning and end of a field? Z should not be taken away in between the words. Please advise.

Thanks...
# 5  
Old 02-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by msalam65
It will be all Z's but it can be 2 or more repetitive Z. So will the sed command will work for 2 or more Z? Also, will it take Z's from beginning and end of a field? Z should not be taken away in between the words. Please advise.

Thanks...
yes, if you try it.
# 6  
Old 02-03-2010
I tried it and it returns the same result without cleaning ZZ.

Code:
sed 's/\(^.. \)Z*/\1/;s/Z*$//' zzz_test.dat
ZZZIBM Corporation
ZZZIBM Corporation ZZZZZ
IBM ZZZ Corporation

I also tried
Code:
sed "s/^\(.\)\1\{1,\}//;s/\(.\)\1\{1,\}$//" file

and it also not work.

Also, I need this to be done on a field not a file. I am extracting a field from a file already while looping through each line. Please advise. I am doing this in Linux OS.

Thanks...

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-03-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags!
# 7  
Old 02-03-2010
It is working for me.
Code:
$ cat file
ZZZIBM Corporation
ZZZIBM Corporation ZZZZZ
IBM ZZZ Corporation
$ sed "s/^\(.\)\1\{1,\}//;s/\(.\)\1\{1,\}$//" file
IBM Corporation
IBM Corporation
IBM ZZZ Corporation

What is your output of sed command?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove repetitive lines in a file with sed?

Hello, My goal is the make all x times repeated lines into a single line. I need to attain the expected output with sed -i , I need to overwrite the MyFile MyFile: Hello World Welcome Hello World Welcome Back This is my test Expected output: Hello World Welcome Welcome Back This is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace alphabets from certain positions

Hi all, I have column 2 full of values like HIVE4A-56 and HIVE4-56. I want to convert all values like HIVE4A-56 to HIVE4-56. So basically I want to delete all single alphabets before the '-' which is always preceded by a number. Values already in the desired format should remain unchanged... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ames1983
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print combinations of alphabets in a sequence

Hi Friends, I have a series of alphabets like this AGCAA The values inside the square brace indicate that either of them can be present at that position. And those ones without a brace, means that they are the only ones that could be printed at that location. Now, I would like to know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter unique alphabets

Filter unique alphabets (bold) from input Thanx +SRR015270.1 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:653:875 length=32 SZZZZZZZZZZZZXZZZXZZZOECZZIZHUEM +SRR015270.2 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:455:450 length=32 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTT @SRR015270.3 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:453:499 length=32... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter certain number of alphabets

filter the ones (ex:>1279_17_27_F3) that have 50letters (ABABABACACACACACAADADADADABABABABAACACACACACACAACAC) in input. And others that are less than 50 have to be ignore and the ones with more than 50 have to trimmed to first 50 letters. Thanx >1279_16_1960_F3 A >1279_16_2010_F3 BCCC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruby_sgp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for Alphabets

echo -n "read this also:" read NewAuthor if ]' ) ] ; then echo "its a digit" else echo "something else" fi Hey guys , i am trying to do a search to check if the input is using alphabets and nothing else. I tried using ] and ] but none seems to work When i use digit, it read 22.k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting the last 2 alphabets in the words

Hi Guys, Bit new to Unix shell scripting so this question might seems little kiddish for you. what im trying to achieve here is : I have file which is compressed like Account_52320090605076_log.Z so in my shell script i call this file also as one of my parameters like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolrekz
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting only Alphabets from a value

Hi, I have file name (abcd001). I want to extract on the alphabets from this file name. I don't want the numeric part of it. Once i extract the alphabets the i can search for all those file. Could anyone help on this. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkhiare
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repetitive Tasks

Could someone tell me how I can simplify the script that follows!!! I know that there must be a way how to grep Average from sar01.................. sar02 ....................... sar03....................... sar04... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JairGuerra
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question