Old 11-05-2010
No xorg.conf or XF86Config

There is no xorg.conf file and no XF86Config file on a certain FreeBSD machine:
Code:
# locate xorg.conf 
/usr/local/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
# locate XF86Config 
#

Can someone let me know if that means that there is a bare bones set up possible only? xrandr works fine, but I am looking for ways to alter the display size.
# 2  
Old 11-06-2010
Newer versions of Xorg don't need to depend on xorg.conf at all, autogenerating one internally from available hardware instead.
# 3  
Old 11-06-2010
Is there a way to determine whether Xorg or XFree86 / XF86Config is used?
# 4  
Old 11-06-2010
Xorg is the default X11 implementation for FreeBSD. The default log should be /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
# 5  
Old 11-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro
Is there a way to determine whether Xorg or XFree86 / XF86Config is used?
Wasn't XFree86 discontinued years and years ago now? They made an obnoxious license change to prevent people forking it, with the result that everyone forked it one version before the license change. Shortly after that debacle their dev team disbanded.
# 6  
Old 11-07-2010
Xorg makes absolutely sense, given my output shown above. Thanks for your answers.
# 7  
Old 11-07-2010
Quote:
Wasn't XFree86 discontinued years and years ago now? They made an obnoxious license change to prevent people forking it, with the result that everyone forked it one version before the license change. Shortly after that debacle their dev team disbanded.
Yes. Google Keith Packard.

In the late 1990's and early 2000's there were basically two versions of X Window. the X Window System reference release and the XFree86 release. X.Org was set up by DEC, HP, IBM, SUN, SGI, Sequent and a few other non-hardware vendors to maintain the X Window System reference implementation after the final death throes of the X Consortium.
This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to update rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf

Hello all, Newbie here. I'm currently tasked with updating rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf on a large set of servers. I know the exact logging configurations that I want to enable. I have updated both files on on a server and hope to use the updated files as a template for the rest of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mide
3 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Problems with xorg.conf

Hi folks, I'm using a virtual machine to run Ubuntu 9.04 and I tried modify the xorg.conf following the steps by other pages and I always have problems when I restart the vmachine (Sun VirtualBox). This is my xorg.conf ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adiegorpc
0 Replies

4. Gentoo

xorg constantly freezes

this is purely for posterity but it took me a while to find this solution online. 10.1 comes wanting to install the stable releases of xorg and the kernel. However on many platforms (especially with intel video) the result is an xorg that functions for a few minutes but then hangs up and prevents... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
0 Replies

5. Solaris

basic question on sd.conf and lpc.conf file

Hello Guys, Do we need to configure this file only if we add SAN disk or even if we add local disk, do we need to modify? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

6. Linux

Using DirectColor in VisualName in xorg.conf gives darkbackground.

Hello , In our application , we have some dynamic bit change which is indicated in picture as flashing. In the old alpha-servers , it was achieved by psuedocolor at depth 8 . In the new HP-Linux(RHEL4) , psuedocolor is giving xpm - color fail error. But flashing was achieved , by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishunni
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Display(xorg.conf) Problem on Dell Inspiron 1420

Dear all, I have Dell Inspiron 1420 with Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family. I am facing display problem on Redhat 5 Server. Please, Help me how to configure xorg.conf manually. Recently, i have upgraded Kernel kernel-2.6.18-138.el5.i686. Thank You Anu. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anu18
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Keychord mapping in Xorg

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to rebind key-chords (combinations of multiple keys, like Control+M) under X. My motivation is that these chords interfere with keyboard bindings in emacs. For example, I cannot bind anything containing Control+M: as far as emacs can see it is the same key as 'RET'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: i386
0 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

cygwin-x/can't install xorg-x11-f100 & xorg-x11-fnts

Hello All. Really a newbie to Linux/Unix. Trying to get into Linux. Using XP PE currently. Installed cygwin and trying to intall cygwin-x. Everything else is setup nice but i can't seem to install these two packages (without whom xwin won't start) 1. xorg-x11-f100 2. xorg-x11-fnts Tried the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binodbdrchand
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Configuring snmpd.conf and snmptrapd.conf

HI, I want a help for Configuring snmpd.conf and snmptrapd.conf (i.e Configuring SNMP) for receiving TRAPS in my networks. I am using RHEL4.0 OS. Please tell me How I can configure above two files in a proper way and at an advanced level. Especially I am getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question