Question about server IP

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question about server IP
# 1  
Old 11-24-2008
Question about server IP

I am working with Unix SCO 5.0.5, and every time connect to server automatically, on left top corner of terminal screen always show server IP address, that is unsecured, so how can I do that let this IP address disappear.
# 2  
Old 11-24-2008
On my PC that ipaddress is shown by the LOCAL applocation, putty in my case. Not from the server.
# 3  
Old 11-24-2008
So is there any way I can hide ipaddress?
# 4  
Old 11-24-2008
1) What are you using to connect, putty? In putty, when you save the session jsut name it something other than the ipaddress, or In the settings, under Window -> Behaviour -> Window Title, Set this to something and save as default and to each of your saves sessions.

2) Why is it unsecure? Worried about someone looking over your shoulder and getting the IP address?
# 5  
Old 11-24-2008
I use Infoterm. yes, if they know this ipaddress, then they can steal data from database.
# 6  
Old 11-24-2008
Lmao your so paranoid.
# 7  
Old 11-24-2008
If someone is on the same network they can just use a packet sniffer and see what ipaddress you are talking to and they can search ipaddresses with ports are open on servers. It appears you are using security by obsecurity. If you server is not secure, not showing the ipaddress on a treminal session is not security. You would be better to secure your server where you dont have to worry about someone knowing an ip address.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foobar Linux / Server Question

I'm running Foobar Linux OS and setting up a machine to operate as a server box for a large social group. The default distribution is: / 2GB /var 100MB /boot 100MB <swap> 2GB /usr remaining space I don't have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Server interface ip question

Hi Guys, can two interfaces on a server have two different ip addresses? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
6 Replies

3. Programming

question about server client code in C

If I have two files server.c and client.c, how do you demonstate the client reading something from the server? so say i have a server,c and a client.c file in a unix machine (same folder), and i want the client to connect and write something to server (through the internet), then server returns it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
2 Replies

4. AIX

RS/6000 server and AIX6.1 question

Hello all. This is my first post on here and I have a question. Recently I was asked how you would go about backing up data from the server to a tape drive that is attached to the RS/6000 system. Assuming that the systems are all new it would be great if someone has a step by step guide that would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aten
4 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Virtual Server Question

I need help creating a Physical to Virtual server. I have successfully created 3 virtual machines on my VIO server. Now I want to move my physical aix 6.1 server to a virtual machine. I was able to backup/restore the rootvg successfully, but I am having so much trouble with my 20GB vg01 volume... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raemccarthy
5 Replies

6. Programming

client/server compile question

Hi, I have 2 files-->server.c and client.c My server.c takes local ip as saying: *.sin_addr.s_addr=INADDR_ANY; client.c is in the same machine.It has a line like: *.sin_addr.s_addr=inet_addr(argv); I don't know how to compile.I tried ./client 127.0.0.1 It used port 7777 in both client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlhazan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old ATT Server Port Question

Just got old ATT server (10 base T)shipped and want to connect to Windows using com port. Got hardware to connect RJ45 from windows box & serial on ATT. I added XP static ip to host file but get no ping return. Do I have to open unix com port? How? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kctech
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

DHCP server question

hi all... i have a question about of the dhcp server.... how i can configurate 3 vlans on the server....? thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanfle
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question on mail server

Hi In the company I work for one guy ask me this question: Can you have several mail servers managing the same domain, in the same lan? My first answer was that it's not possible cause each mail server must not share a domain, but .... I'm not sure. Can anyone more enlightened than me,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Apache web server question

Hi - Maybe not the right forum for this but I will ask anyway.. I recently installed apache on my ultra 10 - solaris 9... Working okay - and I have some docs in my htdocs directory that I can access through a web browser.. Now I want to get a bit fancy and change the home page so I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question