wait
wait
wait
wait
hello
hello
hello
hello

so in the logfile i will delete only the text hello and the wait not.
# 2  
Old 01-07-2008
grep -i wait /somepath/yourlogfile > /tmp/your-tmp-logfile
mv /tmp/your-tmp-logfile /somepath/yourlogfile

You may want to check ownership/permissions on the log file before and after to insure it's the same. If the log file is opened by a process, you may want to stop it before changing it (since you didn't really state what the log file is for... )
# 3  
Old 01-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTM
grep -i wait /somepath/yourlogfile > /tmp/your-tmp-logfile

You may want to check ownership/permissions on the log file before and after to insure it's the same. If the log file is opened by a process, you may want to stop it before changing it (since you didn't really state what the log file is for... )
Thanks but this not where i`m looking for what i meen is a log file in that log file are serverall types of information and ill will only delete som wait or what i said. Example log file:
wait (Delete)
wait (Delete)
wait (Delete)
wait (Delete)
close (stay)
close (stay)
wait (Delete)
wait (Delete)

So only the wait errors delete
# 4  
Old 01-08-2008
Then replace the -i option with -iv
grep -iv wait /somepath/yourlogfile > /tmp/your-tmp-logfile

This will change grep to get everything except lines with wait in them
# 5  
Old 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTM
Then replace the -i option with -iv
grep -iv wait /somepath/yourlogfile > /tmp/your-tmp-logfile

This will change grep to get everything except lines with wait in them

Thkx this works for my self i`l got almost the same:
grep -v "^Wait$" file > file; mv file
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files. i have log files which created from below command exec <processname> >$logfile but when it reaches some size i am redirecting to null while process is running like >$logfile manually but after that it writes some junk into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log entries in log files with no Date format? - Efficient logcheck?

is there a way to efficiently monitor logfiles that do not have a date or time format? i have several logs on several different servers that need to be monitored. but i realized writing a script for this would be very complex and time consuming giving the variety of things i need to check for i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest date log file date

To delete log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest date log file date in the respective logs I want to write a shell script that deletes all log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest log file date in the respective logs This is my script cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreekumarhari
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto encryption and decryption of files during log in and log off

we r to develope a project which involves automatic encryption of all the text files user was working upon during logg off and to decrypt them during log on this is to be done by writing a shell script can anyone help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyom
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

gz log files

Hello, i got the bunch of files, with following extention *.log.* eg: test.log.2009-01-01 i want them to be gz as test.log.2009-01-01.gz and delete the src files on /home/capture can some one help me with creating the shell script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boomramada
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log files

hi, can anybody tell me what are the log files availablr in unix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palash2k
4 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

log files

I have a incoming print stream from a Open Vms server that I need to redirect to a log file. The print stream comes in via a IP address and port onto the Unix server. Does anyone know the command and syntax that I will need to use to achieve this? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shepheri
0 Replies

9. AIX

Log files...

hi.. Where can i find the major logfiles in AIX 5.3 and which all log files should be cleared periodically?? Bala (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system log files and core files?

Solaris v5.6 What log files should be checked out as part of your sys admin daily routine? I've printed out my syslog.conf file, and looked in /var/log and found authlog, syslog, and POPlog. I know of /var/adm/messages. What others should I be looking for? I know of the "find" command. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Westy564
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question