Linux watch command on AIX?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux watch command on AIX?
# 1  
Old 11-06-2007
Linux watch command on AIX?

On Linux I could use the `watch` command to loop a command X times. Is there a similar command on AIX? If not, is there a way to write a loop on the command line to do this?

Linux: watch -d -n 60 'db2 list applications show detail | grep Connect | wc -l'

AIX: ???
# 2  
Old 11-06-2007
something like

Code:
i=0

while test "$i" -lt 60
do
      some | long | command

if test "$?" != "0"
      then
            break
      fi

i=`echo $i + 1 | bc`
done

# 3  
Old 11-06-2007
Thanks, I changed it up a bit to allow for some variables to be passed in but it does basically the same thing (minus the hilighting in Linux for values that changed) that the Linux 'watch' command did.

Code:
# $1 is the number of iterations you'd like to run
# $2 is the amount of time to sleep between iterations (in seconds)
# $3 is the command you'd like to run

i=0

while test "$i" -lt $1
do
  clear
  $3
  i=`echo $i + 1 | bc`
  sleep $2
done

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the watch command

so i have a very long script which i have to run. when i run this script, i want to monitor the the openssl commands it runs. the way ive attempted to do this is: watch -t -n 1 "(date '+TIME:%H:%M:%S' ; ps aux | egrep openssl | egrep -v grep)" 2>&1 | tee -a logfile the above command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX to Linux command difference

Moving from AIX 6.1 to RHEL 6.6, I have noticed a few command differences. One that has been causing issue is a simple echo command when I have to use it this way -> "echo -e" On the AIX it outputs to "-e" but since RHEL has "-e" as an option for echo and hence it outputs to blank here. All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX and HP-UX equivalent of Linux stat command

To list file permission/access right in octal format, linux has a command 'stat'. For example, we can use the followin - stat -c %a `find . -type f Is there any equivalent command in AIX and HP-UX to give the same result as linux 'stat' command? Please advice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command script to be run in both AIX and LINUX

Hi, Script : #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "\n\t\t\t\t Enter your Name : \c" read name ############################## I ran the script in LINUX Enter your Name : abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz I ran the script in AIX Enter your Name : opqrstuvwxyz < I'm not able to see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunprathap
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use script to monitor command output question? (like Linux watch)

Hi I want to write a script, help me to monitor command output. This script like Linux "watch" command. Below is my script: # cat watch.sh #!/bin/bash while true do clear echo "command: $*" ( $* ) sleep 2 done Then I run this script below (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

looking for a unix command for hpux - watch

watch is a common linux command that executes a program periodically, showing output fullscreen. I couldn't find anything for hpux, so I created the following shell which the user is testing: cat /usr/bin/watch #!/bin/sh while ; do clear echo "Command: $*" date echo "" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

watch command

Hi, Please help me out! In the man pages they dont talk about any options that can be used to terminate a running 'watch' command. Do you know a way of terminating the command using an option? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foxtron
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command similar to watch

Hi all, I am trying to create a file that shows the CPU usage, constantly updating (similar to TOP). So far i have a file (called test) containing: echo "The current CPU usage is:" `ps -e -o pcpu|awk 'NR > 0 { s +=$1 }; END {print s"%"}'` and then I ran the command: watch -d 0.5 -t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejreading
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Any command to watch output repeatedly??

Hi Experts,, Can you tell me "Is there any command in solaris that gives the output repeatedly for every x seconds" when used with other commands like ls,du,df,etc..Like prstat updates its output for every 5 seconds.. If i want to view how much of disk usage is going on a filesystem for every... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question