gzipping large (2+ gb) files.

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers gzipping large (2+ gb) files.
# 1  
Old 01-22-2007
gzipping large (2+ gb) files.

Is it possible?

I am trying to do it with gzip 1.2.4 and it comes back saying the file type is too large.

Any way to compress massive things?
LordJezo
# 2  
Old 01-23-2007
The newest version of gzip (at least 1.3.3) supports files greater than 2 GB.
# 3  
Old 01-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo
Is it possible?

I am trying to do it with gzip 1.2.4 and it comes back saying the file type is too large.

Any way to compress massive things?
I had a similiar situation to compress files of size more than 3 GB files.
Best way I would suggest is to write a custom utility probably in langauge standards.

But I say maintenance is tedious.

But that was very useful hence forth. Smilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iconv for large files

Hi I am using iconv command to convert the encoding of files. Below is the command used: iconv -f UCS-2 -t UTF-8 inputfile.txt> outputfile.txt The command is working fine for files less than 2GB. When I try converting the files of more than 2GB size I get an error as 'Can't open file'. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrcr
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Assistance with gzipping files with same names

Hello, I have an issue on a webserver where I have a perl script rotating and moving the logs to an archive directory where they are gzipped. This is working fine. The problem is when there is tracing enabled on my webserver where the tracelogs are rotated whenenver they reach 100Meg and they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techwiz45
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide large data files into smaller files

Hello everyone! I have 2 types of files in the following format: 1) *.fa >1234 ...some text... >2345 ...some text... >3456 ...some text... . . . . 2) *.info >1234 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd to multiple directories and gzipping files within

I am working on a Korn shell script that will cd into multiple directories that are listed in a flat file and gzip the contents of each directory. So far, this is what I have: 1) Find the 4 largest directories and place them into the file foo du -sk /some/directory/* | sort -rn | head -4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunsysadm2003
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

large files?

How do we check 'large files' is enabled on a Unix box -- HP-UX B11.11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large Text Files

Hi All I have approximately 10 files that are at least 100+ MB in size. I am importing them into a DB to output them to the web. What i need to do first is clean the files up so i dont have un necessary rows in the DB. Below is what the file looks like: Ignore the <TAB> annotations as that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: caddyjoe77
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List large files

Hi I need to list all files in the system: 1. Greater than specific size 2. All files sorted by size How can I do that? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large files

I am trying to understand the webserver log file for an error which has occured on my live web site. The webserver access file is very big in size so it's not possible to open this file using vi editor. I know the approximate time the error occured, so i am interested in looking for the log file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehgalniraj
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tarring and gzipping dump files

Say I want to transfer several dump files from a Solaris machine onto a Win2k machine for storage. It was suggested that I tar and gzip the dump files before doing so. Is it completely necessary to use both of these utilities, or is it sufficient to compress multiple dump files into one gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PSC
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question