Old 03-20-2013
Change tab size to 4

forum members,

gvim version 6.0.150.0

Vi has been my favorite editor for over 30 years. Mostly with
Unix but now with windows XP. It works fine but I want to
change the tab to 4 spaces instead of 8. I read on the internet
that I can edit the .vimrc file but I only have an _vimrc file
and windows has a problem with files that start with a ".".

I do have a vimrc_example.vim and gvimrc_example.vim files.

Any suggestions?

jerryd
# 2  
Old 03-20-2013
What happens if you edit _vimrc file? It works fine here.

Try putting in line :set nu to see if the file is being read (line numbers show).
# 3  
Old 03-20-2013
hanson44,

Thanks for the reply.

I entered this line in the _vimrc file ":set nu" but line
numbering didn't happen. I even re-booted. Maybe I have
something set up wrong and Gvim never looks at this file.
Any more suggestions?

jerryd
# 4  
Old 03-20-2013
I normally just use vim. But I also have gvim installed. When I start it, with the "set nu" line in _vimrc, it displays the line numbers. So gvim works fine here, reads _vimrc file.

Make sure just enter "set nu" (NO COLON) in the _vimrc file. The colon is just if entered manually from within vim. I was not clear about that.

I have the path to the vim directory in my PATH variable. Not sure if that needed to find _vimrc file.

Finally, you can edit the gvim icon and add "-u path_to_vimrc" segment after command name, and that might fix problem.
# 5  
Old 03-20-2013
I've tried all your suggestions and no luck so far. Is there some way I could tell for sure if the _vimrc file is being read at all?

jerryd
# 6  
Old 03-20-2013
Reality-Check vim by entering :set nu and verify it shows line numbers.

Make sure _vimrc has the single line:

Code:
set nu

Start gvim. If the display does NOT show the line numbers, then your _vimrc is not being read (unless something I'm missing).

What happens when you edit the gvim icon to add path to _vimrc file with -u option?

What happens when you run vim from command window?

BTW, it seems (by my testing) that vim on DOS will also use _exrc if _vimrc is not present. This probably does not solve the current problem, just something to be aware of in case it comes up.

Any odd chance some permissions problem with _vimrc file? I know, unlikely.
# 7  
Old 03-21-2013
forum,

Tried both ":set nu" and "set nu" neither showed line numbers.
Before I try other things I noticed these lines in the _vimrc file.

set nocompatible
source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim
source $VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim
behave mswin

Do these have anything to do with my problem?

jerryd
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change size of watermark

I'm using this code to watermark images (add a logo). How do I change the size of the watermark to cover a certain percentage of the image ffmpeg -i folder/s886_01.jpg -i watermark.png -filter_complex overlay=15:15 output.png (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

2. Ubuntu

How to change ffmpeg default font size?

Hello, I have a problem with Greek subtitle font size when I map a subtitle file into a video in ffmpeg. I ran below code: ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -sub_charenc CP1253 -i video_sub.srt -c:v copy -c:a copy \ -c:s mov_text -metadata:s:s:0 language=gr mapped_video.mp4 When I play it in VLC,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies

3. Programming

Java JOptionPanel change text field with TAB

So I don't really know anything about Frames, Windows, or Panels.. I just got interested in Java because a coworker is doing classes in it. I know some other languages but never did GUI things...I literally just got NetBeans, and drew up a dialog using it's Design view. All I want is for the TAB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
0 Replies

4. Linux

kde 4.3 and tab size

Hi Guys I have just upgraded to kde4 and i noticed that the default tab size in konsole are massive, i cannot see the setting to change this any hlep thanks Adam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get directories colored when doing change directory and tab

I am trying to navigate between directories using cd. However, the only way to distinguish directories now is by seeing the "/' after the directory names, which is quite inefficient. How can I make the directories look in color when typing cd and then using the tab key to list the files and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genehunter
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting tab with even size

I have a number of columns separated by tabs but the spacing between them are of different sizes. Is there any way of separating them with tab of even size? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
4 Replies

7. AIX

Change the Block size of AIX 6.1

Friends , I know the most cases the unix operation system holds the default block size 4MB . In AIX 5.3 and AIX 6.1 , also use upto 4 MB as its default block size .Now I want to change this value from 4MB to 8MB as AIX block size . Is it possible to change the block size value in AIX 6.1/5.3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

change the font size in bash

Hi, I would like to change the font size in bash. I know how do it in ksh: F_VDOBLE="\033#6" print "${F_VDOBLE}Esto es..." But in bash I don't know Could you help me please? Many thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File system size change

Good morning folks! I'm new here.. trying to find an answer on how to resize filesystem. Need to add some space to c0t0d0s5, /var... Is it possible at all? JV (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvinn
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change the tab size in vi?

the default size is 8. i found it's too big. how can i change the tab size in vi? is it a good idea to change it at all? thks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
12 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question