problems with apropos

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problems with apropos
# 1  
Old 08-31-2011
problems with apropos

I believe my apropos command is corrupt. Every time i invoke it the following happens... please see attached png file. Is there a way for me to reinstall or rebuild the apropos command? However, when I log on as a different user everything seems ok

I am currently running Free BSD (OS X)

your help is greatly appreciated
problems with apropos-screen-shot-2011-08-31-64349-ampng
# 2  
Old 08-31-2011
also...

the following is in my .profile

Code:
PATH=~/.bin:/sw/bin/:~/.bin/vtc:/Developer/Tools:$PATH
source ~/.bashrc

#------------------------------------------------------
#	Setting custom variables		      -
#------------------------------------------------------

export CLICOLOR=1
export LSCOLORS=GxFxCxDxBxegedabagacad

GREP_OPTIONS="--color=always"
export GREP_OPTIONS

# 3  
Old 08-31-2011
run the below command

Code:

/usr/sbin/makewhatis

then, try apropos
# 4  
Old 08-31-2011
that command exists only in /usr/libexec/makewhatis. Does it make a difference?

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

If/then problems

#! /bin/bash # ask what the user would like to do CMD=$CMD MBA=$MB RS=$RS CT=$CT echo echo -n "What would you like to do?? REMEMBER WHEN PROGRAMMING ICP's TO SELECT CORRECT COMMAND ACCORDING TO NECCESSARY TYPE CODE! Please enter a command ct = program ctek ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdalyman
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

while and do problems

Any ideas how to clear this error as it seems I dont understand if,do,while and els commands #!/bin/ksh set -x print "This script creates test messages" print "Please enter test case name" read testcasename echo $testcasename skipfield=Y while print "Do you want to skip this field... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrew.p.mcderm
4 Replies

3. SuSE

Problems!!

good friends I am new to linux and I have the following TELNET service problem entering data devo telnet to a Windows server 2003 server and passes will not let me since the move to this server by telnet tells me the characters and thus invalidates me income, I have a service application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pepetico
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with using less

Hello, I am having problems with using less on Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 (brewbuilder@hs20-bc1-7.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)). I am using csh but have the same problems on bash. If I pipe something to less it works perfectly i.e. cat file | less... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with Last

Hi, I,ve a Unixware 7.1.3 working correctly for two years ago, since a several weeks I've a problem with the command last . The information that this command return is : For example : 1.- The user root , time login : 12:15 h, time logoff 12:15 h (the real time is 14:00). Connected time is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
3 Replies

6. Solaris

apropos not working

How come my 'apropos' cmd doesn't work in Solaris but works in Linux? How can I get it to work? Are the files in the 'companion' cd? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

apropos

Please give me an alternate command for apropos on HP. Thanks in advance shilpa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: informshilpa
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'make' problems (compliation problems?)

I'm trying to compile and install both most recent version of 'make' and the most recent version of 'openssh' on my Sparc20. I've run into the following problems... and I don't know what they mean. Can someone please help me resolve these issues? I'm using the 'make' version that was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question